Can my chickens co-exist with rose bushes safely?

AChickenBoi

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
I’m thinking on growing a paradise rose bush in my backyard, but I’m unsure if it would be safe with my chickens, and the other way around. None of them are plant-eaters aside from eating grass and weeds in the yard, and they won’t go out of their way to try to get into the vegetable garden. I’m just worried if they do decide to have a little nibble, and ingest their bodies can’t handle. I know that people can eat roses just fine, and they make sweet additions to lots of dishes, I just don’t know if that’s the same for chickens.
I’m also concerned if the thorns could hurt them somehow. What if a thorn takes out an eye? Or those thorns cause nasty cuts and infections? We recently lost a few bushes and plants that originally were great places for them to duck under in the case of a hawk or other predator lurks nearby. I’m sure any predator would think twice about their decisions after getting a face full of thorns.
I have one silkie hen, one barred rock hen, a blue rock hen, and a silkie-blue rock hen. They are all adults, and to my knowledge are very healthy with a wide variety of foods in their diet... including the occasional lizard that they catch :/
I really want to try my hand at growing flowers, but my birds’ safety comes first, periodt.

I can only offer my own experience. My farmhouse came with some Very Thorny but lovely old-fashioned rose bushes along one side of the foundation. My chickens, ducks and geese free range during the day, and none of them has had any apparent bad experiences with the yellow roses.

I, on the other hand, have. Last year, my geese thought it would be fun to lay eggs under the rose bushes. Until I got a long-handled grabber, gathering eggs was sometimes painful for me. :rolleyes: Silly geese!

I have some huge, as in 12 feet across wild rose bushes in my field. Chickens have always used the bushes. The bushes are cool during the hot summer afternoon and a safe place to run if they feel threatened. One of my hens has always had her nest in the rose bushes. She doesn't bring her chicks out of the bushes until they are all hatched.

Roses are not toxic, the petals can be eaten, and my girls hang around under my ramblers, and as soon as petal falls off they fight over it. I have very prolific long term flowering "Madam Alfred Carriere" and before I got my chickens, I had to sweep up all the petals of the paving. The chickens are not so stupid as to hurt themselves on the thorns.

Back
Top Bottom