Can my chickens eat rabbit pellets?

TennesseeTruly

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Church Hill, TN
Someone gave me a buff brahma hen yesterday and along with her came a bunch of stuff. One of the things they gave me was rabbit food. They were feeding a rabbit until it ran away (or became food for something else) so they started giving the hen the rabbit food along with her laying food.

Is this okay for her to eat?? Thanks in advance!

Laurie

If it is alflafla then yes. Even if it is grain and such it is safe. The only thing that would be high for a rabbit would be calcium as they have big litters and need it for milk. Even then if you feed it mixed it will be fine.

Sweet feed has too much molasses.

Rabbit pellets should be fine. I don't know a rabbit pellet that isn't alfalfa or timothy hay based. They can make up a little for lack of foraging in the winter. I've heard of them being given more to ducks for that reason. I give some to my seramas in pens and occasionally gave some last winter to the rest of the chickens.

frow.gif
Laurie,
I give my brood alfalfa rabbit pellets as a treat
when the fresh greens are scarce.

My chickens wont eat rabbit pellets unless there crushed up and mixed in with there food. We have a giant ifa bag and my sister lost interest in her bunnies so i have a lot of pellets to get rid of, so thats the only reason i feed them to my chickens.

my chickens love it
in the winter on a cold morning i put the rabbit pellets in a bowl n put hot water in it sit it down then leave it to cool down until its warm the chickens are into it n love it so sometimes i just buy the rabbit pellets in the winter for warm treats

i hope its not bad for them but ive had chickens all my life n i have always given them rabbit pellets as a treat and none of them have become sick after feeding it to them so i think it is fine

Back
Top Bottom