Can my chickens primary feed be wheat?

Mary Coleman

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
North Eastern Oregon
My dad brought home about 300 lbs of wheat. My chickens free range all day and in the afternoon I give them their feed(which is scratch grains, wheat, layer crumbles, and oyster shell, so can I just give them wheat? Or is that not enough?

My dad brought home about 300 lbs of wheat. My chickens free range all day and in the afternoon I give them their feed(which is scratch grains, wheat, layer crumbles, and oyster shell, so can I just give them wheat? Or is that not enough?
Well, that really depends on how old your chickens are. Are they laying? If they are they should definitely be on a good layer feed only with oyster shell on the side. I can't tell from your post but I'm getting the feeling that you are "mixing" those feeds all together??

Ever hear the phrase, "Man does not live by bread alone." Well neither do chickens. Man is an omnivore, so are chickens. A good mix of foods is much better then just one grain alone. That is what a commercial feed does it mixes several foods and minerals and vitamins to make up the feed. Certainly you can mix the wheat in with other stuff to use the wheat. Whole wheat will keep for a long time, if you keep it dry, so you don't have to use it up all that quickly. This winter when it brown outside you could sprout it for some thing green for them.

Actually I was thinking of doing fodder when I said sprouting for greens. Sprouting is soaking the seed then allowing it to germinate then eating. By allowing it to grow a little and shoot its first leaves, then feeding is fodder. Oh and about the by bread alone thing, I was being way literal. It is usually meant to mean that there are more things to fulfill one then food alone.

And yes. I'm mixing all of those together. So what I'm getting is mix the wheat with layer crumbles and oyster shells and I should be good to go...?
Mary....it is not advisable to "mix" your oyster shell with your feed(s)! Oyster shell should be offered in it's own little container "on the side" .. your chickens will consume what they need as they see fit. Chickens....go figure!!
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom