Can my chickens stand the heat

Pics
I don't have chickens yet but I'm planning to get three RIR and one Bufforpington I want to get them as chicks but I don't want them to overheat ( I live in AZ ) so what should I do?

no buff orpington for sure. I live in similar, maybe a bit cooler than your climate and orpingtons live till summer only. light mediterrainian breeds or naked neck are more suitable. I am not familiar with rir.

Get those small watermelons or grown them, put them in the freezer. When it's hot take one and crack it open and the chickens will love it! It works with most water veggies or fruits, like cucumber, watermelon, cantaloupe, ect... You can freeze chunks of fruit or cucumbers and put them in their water, they'll peck the frozen chunks plus get nice cool water. Make sure to place water in a shaded area and fill a couple times a day with fresh water. Sometimes I run my water from the hose to make a puddle and they run/splash in it.

In my area it's hot and very humid during the summer, but my chickens don't mind as long as I give them frozen fruits/veggies, fresh water, shade, and fresh cool water puddles.

Do not feed them corn, it's known to cause heat within their bodies as the digest it. That's one thing I learned years ago from a friend who's had chickens for 10+ years, that bit of info has always stick with me.

Hello! I'm also here in AZ. You will need lots of clean fresh drinking water for them, and you can add some ice to that during the hottest part of the day. Watch them for any panting that they might do, as it will be a sign that they are too hot. As they get a little bigger where there is no sign of them drowning in it, you can put a small shallow pan of water for them to wade in to help them to cool off their feet. The fluffier the breed that you get will have the hardest time making it through our hot summer's here. I'm doing the Naked Neck's now for that reason. I also just hatched out a bunch of Naked Neck chick's this week from my flock.

Edit: The Naked Neck's also lay large sized egg's very well.

Last edited:
Australorps are known for their heat tolerance- the breed originated in Australia apparently. They are good layers and very nice!

I’ve only had one of the breed until this year (I’m adding 3-5, just depends on how many of the little ones I keep) and while it only hits 100 here for a week or so, she does great during the hot streaks while the others (Brahma, leg horns and barred rock) all take breaks from egg laying.

Australorps are known for their heat tolerance- the breed originated in Australia apparently. They are good layers and very nice!

I’ve only had one of the breed until this year (I’m adding 3-5, just depends on how many of the little ones I keep) and while it only hits 100 here for a week or so, she does great during the hot streaks while the others (Brahma, leg horns and barred rock) all take breaks from egg laying.

I had the Australorp's before I started doing these Naked Neck's. We can get up to 118-F heat here in the summer, and the Australorp's pant a lot during that. The hen's also seem to pick that time to go broody, and can die in the nest box. You have to put mister's up for them to help to keep them cool, and then they will stand under them almost constantly. All of that water on them ruin's the look of the feather's. I sold all of my Australorp's to a lady in Colorado where they would be cooler, so that the B/B/S Australorp could live a better more comfortable life.

Back
Top Bottom