Can my chickens stand the heat

Do not feed them corn, it's known to cause heat within their bodies as the digest it. That's one thing I learned years ago from a friend who's had chickens for 10+ years, that bit of info has always stick with me.
Most chicken feed is mostly corn ...and any digestion will create 'heat'.

I've lived in Arizona and now I'm in Texas and I was born in New Orleans. Heat down here is...well...you already know. This video is terrific and I use this method to cool off their FEET since the blood flows through them also. They will self regulate by getting into and standing on the bricks or rocks until they feel cooler and then they will move around some. If you can/are situated to have a muddy spot in the shade it may help but I know that muddy spots dry out very quickly where you are.

I'm in So Cal and have lived in AZ. I have 3 bushes planted in my girl's run. I used cheap plastic round planters, cut off the bottom and have that around the base of the bushes so the girls can't dig them up.(worked for over 5yrs now) I empty their water buckets daily and empty the dirty water to these bushes.... the girls use the bushes for shade relief and dig around the base of the plants for the mud/cooler temps. When free ranging in the yard, I'll turn the hose on at my fruit trees and they will come running to stand, play and search the puddled water. My neighbor uses a mister after losing 2 girls to the heat. I also use some shade material on high sun sides of their run to keep temps down. Refrigerated /frozen fruits and vegys are also popular. Best of luck!

Let me guide you in my red-neck-ery... I freeze green beans, peas, and fresh corn with water, in ice trays and put these out for all of my animals. Something to entice them to peck at that ice. I add ice to all of my water-ers. Freeze 2 liter bottles and place them in shady spaces for them to lay against. Get the the flat ice packs that go in lunch boxes, place them under inverted terra cotta plant water trays, for the chickens to lay on. I have ceramic floor tiles left over from a floor job. I put those in the freezer over night and then place in in shady areas for the animals to lay on. I switch them out in the afternoon. My girls free-range, so they come up on the shady porch in the hottest part of the day. I'm in Tucson. I feel your pain.

Back
Top Bottom