Can my chicks go outside for a brief time?

4 MimisPeeps

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Stamford, CT
My chicks were hatched on April 30. They are doing great, getting lots of feathers, so fun to watch them! Today the temp is expected to be about 80. Can I bring them outside to scratch around, feel the dirt between their toes, for a little while? Of course, I will be standing watch the entire time!!

Would you do this in an enclosed area?
Are you afraid that they would all scatter and have a hard time catching them?
I came online to ask this same question.
Mine will be 2 weeks Monday and the temp will be about 80 today.
Just my luck they would hear a noise that would scare them and then off they would go.

Yes they will really enjoy themselves. Just be next to them and don't let them run off! I let mine in the garden for a 'play' after they are 3 days old. Its so cute to see them all running about and jumping in the air like jumping beans.

You can tell if they get tired or cold as they will start to cuddle up together and stop running about. Then its time to put them back in the brooder. I carry a large plastic box and put them all in that to carry them back inside.

If your chicks are not used to you, or are very afraid of you, then I would put them into an enclosed run. Even if a few get out they will not run off, because they will like to stick close to the others.

Thanks for this thread! Our chicks are 9 days old and we're going to set up an old dog crate and some chicken wire so they can go outside and play today (in the upper 80s)!

my birds have been full-time outside since 12 days old here in northern AR. They are already free-ranging and putting themselves to bed at night. Not on purpose - they just escaped their run. Since they put themselves away that night, I just left them free. Their run is a smaller area inside the larger chicken run but they can fit through the chain link of the outer run to wander the yard.
photobucket-1547-1337438327464.jpg

Last edited:
I did take them out yesterday, one at a time because I was afraid they were faster than me!! Put them in the an unplanted garden bed in the sun and then in a grassy area for a few minutes. They peeped a lot and I thought they were looking for their "family". Today my 2 sons built a small (24"highx36"longx24"wide with open bottom pen out of some scrap lumber and chicken wire. They quickly found they could squeeze thru the wire, so my son got some baling wire and wove it thru about 3 courses up, all around. They were very happy all in there together! For anything more permanent, I will use hardware cloth, but hey, the weather is beautiful and this was in the garage so it's all good!

I took pics on my iphone but not sure how to upload there from my phone to here...any techy friends out there??

Back
Top Bottom