Can my dogs get sick from eating chicken poop?

sals_chicks

Songster
Jan 31, 2022
New England
Have any of you ever had sick dogs from eating chicken poop? My dogs have been sick for a couple days now. They are eating and acting normal, but have been having a LOT of diarrhea just out of the blue. The poopy troubles seems to coincide with me letting the chickens out of their closed run and into our fenced in back yard for some "free range" time - the fenced area is also where my dogs hang out, though we are not letting them out there at the same time.

I know my dogs will eat the poop and there is not a lot I can do about it - I have accepted this gross fate. Do you think this just a "stomach getting used to it" stage of turd-gobblinhood? Pure coincidence? Some other kind of dog stomach bug? It is not unusual for them to occasionally have some diarrhea - maybe I am just paranoid that it's the chicken poop?

My dog doesn't get ill from it. The chickens will eat the dog poop too. I'd just keep an eye on the dogs and watch they don't get dehydrated. See a vet if worried.

Have any of you ever had sick dogs from eating chicken poop? My dogs have been sick for a couple days now. They are eating and acting normal, but have been having a LOT of diarrhea just out of the blue. The poopy troubles seems to coincide with me letting the chickens out of their closed run and into our fenced in back yard for some "free range" time - the fenced area is also where my dogs hang out, though we are not letting them out there at the same time.

I know my dogs will eat the poop and there is not a lot I can do about it - I have accepted this gross fate. Do you think this just a "stomach getting used to it" stage of turd-gobblinhood? Pure coincidence? Some other kind of dog stomach bug? It is not unusual for them to occasionally have some diarrhea - maybe I am just paranoid that it's the chicken poop?
It can give them diareah yes. But not all dogs get it from eating chicken poop. I have a few dogs that do get it from chicken poop, and a few that have never.

My butt hole blue heeler eats poo all the time 💩 he won't be a year till oct. He eats any poo he can find (drives hubby nuts) except his own. I had to worm him because my chickens had worms and I wormed them. Figured I'd get it over with. Now I put poopy straw where he can't get it. I wouldn't worry, it's normal.

Thanks everyone.... Both dogs are back to normal after a few days of troubles! I'm hoping they'll learn how to self-regulate the poo-eating, but my guess it they will continue to be idiots. 😂
Like a dog after it vomits will return to eat what made it sick, something like that, the Bible says. I think it was a metaphor for people going back to sin even though they know it's bad for them, but its an accurate description of dogs don't know what's bad for em and will eat whatever they want. haha

Back
Top Bottom