Can my ducklings be outside yet?

Post some pictures and we can help!

And if they look like these guys then shut off the heatlamp and see how it goes

I find mine cuddle around the heat even if they dont need it... my adults will even cuddle up to heat

Attachments

• 4-week-old-aylesbury-ducklings-for-sale-51f531ca23de1.jpg
    4-week-old-aylesbury-ducklings-for-sale-51f531ca23de1.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 18
I did put them outside in the coop and they seem just fine. We did have a few “cool” nights ( for Florida) and I put them up in the coop part for the night and covered it with a moving blanket to retain heat. But last night was like 65 and they stayed out all night and were fine. I did get a large tray full of bedding under the coop ( protected from rain) for them to snuggle down in.
I will have to figure out a ramp/ stairs for them so they could possibly enter the coop on their own. There is a ramp meant for chickens, but I’ve seen here that ducks don’t like/ use those

They will need a wide ramp or close in the underside of the coop 3 sides and a door with hardware cloth so they have fresh air but are protected from preds and the elements . We’d love to see them and their new digs:pop

I did put them outside in the coop and they seem just fine. We did have a few “cool” nights ( for Florida) and I put them up in the coop part for the night and covered it with a moving blanket to retain heat. But last night was like 65 and they stayed out all night and were fine. I did get a large tray full of bedding under the coop ( protected from rain) for them to snuggle down in.
I will have to figure out a ramp/ stairs for them so they could possibly enter the coop on their own. There is a ramp meant for chickens, but I’ve seen here that ducks don’t like/ use those
I lived in Florida and there are lots of snakes. Snakes will eat them at this age, I promise! Check your coop every night before you put them in it if the door is open all day. This past July I had one big 6' king snake crawl into my coop, hide in the hay and crush one of my 4 babies and started eating it. It was proably one of the worst things I've ever seen. I wish I could "unsee" it! My baby was 4 weeks old.

I had a 6' blk snake get hold of a 2 day old duckling thank goodness I came up on it right after it had gotten him I was able to unwrap the snake from around him and save the duckling. Didn't save the snake though. And I like snakes just not when it's trying to eat my duckling. @DuckyDonna that had to of been a nightmare I can truly understand.:hugs

I had a 6' blk snake get hold of a 2 day old duckling thank goodness I came up on it right after it had gotten him I was able to unwrap the snake from around him and save the duckling. Didn't save the snake though. And I like snakes just not when it's trying to eat my duckling. @DuckyDonna that had to of been a nightmare I can truly understand.:hugs
yes, I know what you mean! That snake had been in the duck run before and knowing that king snakes are "good" I had my husband remove it to the field out back. Never should have done that! I hate snakes, I really do but I try to be reasonable about the good ones. It ain't a good one if it kills my duck!

It's pouring down rain here today so I didn't try putting out the food with B complex this morning like I planned. Hopefully tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom