Can my ducklings sleep in their run?

Lauren84

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
Essex, England
Hello all,
I am a first time duck owner and my ducks are currently 7 weeks old( runner ducks) I have set them up a run and coop next to a pond that is between 2 buildings and is protected from predators. Must they sleep in the coop only or can they sleep in the run too where it is protected from predators?

Thank you so much for your help and advice in advance :).

If they are protected i would let them. Ducks are super hard to train, not like chickens where you show them a couple of times and your done. I tried to coop train mine but eventually gave up due to their stubborn nature. I got tired of chasing them around every evening. It stressed me out and it stressed them. As long as they are safe i wouldn't worry too much.

Make sure your run is completely covered and predator-proof where nothing can reach in and grab one of your ducks and try to pull it out through the fencing. You def don't want to see that. Hardware cloth is the only thing that will give any of us peace of mind they are safe.
I never lock mine in their house but always lock them in their run. But, be sure your run is totally predator proof. My run is hardware clothe, not chicken wire. Also, it extends 6-10 inches into the ground to prevent digging. I also live in a subdivision so there are not many predators.
:goodpost:

With my all drake flock and my son's laying pekins, we have no difficulty getting the ducks into their coops at night. It wasnt always like that, but we persisted with the herding and it worked. My son' pekins chose to wait by the garden side gate, but go straight off to their coop when one of us arrives to put them to bed. My own, head down to the coop at sundown, but come dashing back up to the house when I go out to put them to bed, then follow me back down the garden. Daffy is always first in. He has his own sleeping compartment where he feels safe. Ping, currently unwell, is always second, and takes himself into his dogcrate. The other two mill around the door while I make sure each has a water tub and food bowl. When I get out the other two go in. It's so easy that if I am away for a week, they are no trouble for my duck minder

It wasn't always like this. 6 months ago, Daffy started being reluctant to go in at night. I had several episodes of chasing him round the garden. Then it dawned on me he was reluctant as he was being bullied by one of the other drakes. I made him a compartment fenced off from the others and the problem resolved. Not only is he first in, I don't need to open up the front of his compartment: I just lift him up and put him over. He likes the extra attention, the great lump of duckiness.

While it may be safe for your ducks to sleep in the run, I would continue to encourage them to go inside as they will be better inside in the cold of the winter]

Back
Top Bottom