can my roo stay ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by foxxracer278, Dec 15, 2009.

1. foxxracer278

foxxracer278 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    morris county nj
    so i have a rooster that is about 35 weeks old. he does not act much like a roos by not crowing and not chasing the hens around. but the thing is i would love to keep my roo even though i am getting all new birds. would i be able to keep my roo and still enter in my 25 new chickens when they are about 6 weeks ?

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    You should be able to put them together, but it is always better to keep the chickens about the same size. A 35 week old rooster and 6 week old chicks,...maybe a problem. Wait till the others are older and then you can try to put them together. Good luck!

BTW,...[​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Even without a rooster, putting six week old chicks in with adult hens can be dicey. The chicks need to be of a size that they can fend off any attackers, hen or roo.
    Alot of folks put up a divider where the older chickens can see, but not get at, the younger ones until they are used to each other.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't integrate till the birds are at least 16 weeks old.

5. foxxracer278

foxxracer278 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    morris county nj
    ok i guess i will just build a small coop just for the roo. also he does not crow or peck at the hens i have is there something wrong. and how could i tell if my eggs were getting fertile from him ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by