Can my rooster eat egg laying hen food?

Apr 20, 2020
I have 14 hens and 1 rooster. 2 hens are 9 months so old, and the other 12 are 3 months old, so is the rooster. I need to know if my rooster can eat egg laying feed Because soon my 12 pulley app will start to lay. My rooster does sometimes eat my 2 hens feed. I have read somewhere to not give roosters egg laying feed due to the amount of calcium. Can someone please help me out? If my rooster can’t eat the egg laying feed then what should I give my chickens when they start laying?

I have 14 hens and 1 rooster. 2 hens are 9 months so old, and the other 12 are 3 months old, so is the rooster. I need to know if my rooster can eat egg laying feed Because soon my 12 pulley app will start to lay. My rooster does sometimes eat my 2 hens feed. I have read somewhere to not give roosters egg laying feed due to the amount of calcium. Can someone please help me out? If my rooster can’t eat the egg laying feed then what should I give my chickens when they start laying?
Sure your rooster can eat layer food but it probably won't be good for his kidneys and is very likely to decrease his expected lifetime.

Many people that keep a rooster with their hens feed everyone an all flock or flock raiser feed with oyster shell offered free choice on the side.

All flock feed and leave out oyster shell in a separate smaller feeder for hens to eat as they need it.

I agree with all of the above. I had this question awhile back and was told the same thing. Didn’t realize layer pellets could be bad for roos and wonder if maybe that’s why my two RIR boys only made it to about 4 yrs old.
I’ve had rhode island reds in the past and they didn’t live long either I’m not sure what is happening to them.

Back
Top Bottom