Can My roosters mate each other?

MaddieMarieT

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
I have too many roosters and do I keep them all in a big pen to keep my hens and little ones safe, but I've noticed that some of the more dominant roosters seem to be trying to mate the less dominate is that possible or are they just fighting?

I have been trying to rehome them but no one seems to want any roosters which is sad but understandable if they don't have enough hens. And they are all older bigger roosters except the two meanest ones are bannys. But the bannys are older all at least 1-3 years old.
IMG_20220425_115118_03.jpg
IMG_20220425_115147_01.jpg
IMG_20220425_115118_01.jpg
IMG_20220425_115118_02.jpg

I have been trying to rehome them but no one seems to want any roosters which is sad but understandable if they don't have enough hens. And they are all older bigger roosters except the two meanest ones are bannys. But the bannys are older all at least 1-3 years old. View attachment 3087459View attachment 3087458View attachment 3087456View attachment 3087455
And this isn't all I have just some, I have some I'm letting run free for now and switch them up so everyone gets to get a little"fresh air".

If your rooster flock is sufficiently large that you can't provide all of them with sufficient space all the time and you are seeing behavioral problems then you really need to be considering culling.

If you can't bear to eat them yourself and you are not successful at giving them away no-questions-asked via Craigslist, try looking for things like raptor rescues, small zoos, etc.

I have been trying to rehome them but no one seems to want any roosters which is sad but understandable if they don't have enough hens. And they are all older bigger roosters except the two meanest ones are bannys. But the bannys are older all at least 1-3 years old. View attachment 3087459View attachment 3087458View attachment 3087456View attachment 3087455
Dogfood. I have one very large and beautiful rooster that asserts himself sexually over everyone, male and female. He is having sex with them all. Is that really a good trait to breed and carry on genetically?

It was like watching a crime happening. I felt like I should be comforting my rooster Bo. Instead I locked Bubba up in the nesting box as he yelled at everyone to stay in the hen house and none dared to go into the grazing area.
I kept our extra roosters and built them a run and for awhile they lived together. There was 7 of them. Eventually a raccoon got in and killed them all. Sad day.

They mostly got along and roosted together but there was one who was a real nut. He would attack me too and one day I whacked him in the head with a wooden spoon. A little too hard, it temporarily wobbled him. The 2nd rooster mounted him right away. When the crazy rooster recovered, he tried to retake his position but the ithers wouldn't allow it. They lived mostly lived in peace after this until the raccoon attack.

But this is my only experience with roosters. Not suggesting you hit him in the head. I didn't decide to do it, it was instinctual, he was attacking my face while I was feeding them.

Back
Top Bottom