Can Nesting Box Bedding be Plastic "Shavings"?

BlueEyesSmile

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
My husband and I just got some chicks last weekend and we are in the process of building the runner and hen house. The last time I actually saw a live chicken was when I was a child in preschool at my granmother's house in the country and DH had some when he was a young adult (18-25?) but they never produced. So we are relitively new to all this.

We work in a shop that manufactors Plastic products. DH saw the shavings and thought that it can be used for the beddings. Mind you the shavings are actually long threads sort of like a pile of twisted thread (dh describes it like angel hair spaghetti) that my chicks can sit on. DH thinks that our chicks can use this as a bedding for the nesting box and it can help keep them warm for the winter. I, on the other hand, am a little concerned for their safety. Do you think that this can hurt my chicks? Will they try to eat this? I'd like to know your opinions on this.

Last edited:
I have seen my hens try to eat plastic cable ties. They're quite the "Test-it-to-see-if-I-can-eat-it" birds! I wouldn't put them in the nest just because I have seen how mine like to keep after things and work on destroyng it to taste it again. And I noticed one hen was picking at her wood shavings the other day in the nestingbox while she was getting ready to lay. Just my opinion of course! I hope someone has some facts for ya!

And welcome to BYC!

Well, I personally wouldn't use it myself. The bedding is used not only for warmth & comfort, but for soaking up any wetness. I don't think PVC shreddings would really be useful for that. And plus - what would you do with the shavings afterwards? At least with straw and/or wood shavings you can use such as compost. And I would also be leery of my chickens consuming the PVC. So... I'd say stick with your gut & tell your hubby, no deal.
smile.png

I agree with what the others say! Your chickens give you two products - eggs and easily compostable material - ie...wood shavings/hay/straw and poop! It's hard to say which is the most worthy but don't throw out half the hens' worth! You could save that plastic thready stuff for eggs in baskets as gifts or at Easter.
jan la banan

it would be oh so messy to get that plastic stuff into a trash bag, and in the plant is is probably recycled anyway. Let DH sleep on it for a few nights and see if it is warm!
lol.png

I have pulled fishing line out of a hen's crop(YUCK!).
sickbyc.gif
Someone else said their hens were eating styrofoam insulation ftom the coop walls. They'll eat pretty much anything. I'd skip the plastic.

Back
Top Bottom