Can Nipple Water Systems be Heated?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HunterWilson, Jul 13, 2010.

1. HunterWilson

HunterWilson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    My regular waterer keeps getting soiled with shavings and poop so I was thinking about a nipple watering system. We are in northern NJ and I do not plan to heat the coop, so the waterer must be heated.

Can nipple systems be heated to function in winters where it might occasionally get below 0 on a few of the coldest nights of the year?

Thanks!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Good question, but I don't know the answer. I'm sure someone on here does.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

4. HunterWilson

HunterWilson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Even if I heat the reservoir, I am afraid the nipples will freeze up. Any ideas for keeping the nipples flowing?

Maybe I could design it so that the nipple is right on the reservoir so the heat from the reservoir will not have to travel far down a pipe to the nipples?

5. ruralmom

ruralmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    NW Colorado
    Depending on if you are using PVC piping with the nipples or bucket. The PVC could be kept open I would think with heat tape wrapped around the pipe and the bucket could be kept open with a tank heater. Neither will heat up the water till hot or anything just to the point it does not freeze. Here in CO we use a dog water heater from Walmart off the ground.

6. crossedwires

crossedwires Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    you could use something like an aquarium heater in the resivoir if you set it around the 60f mark its unlikely the nipple would freeze unless you sustained temps probally below -5c wich is unlikely unless the whole thing is outside the coup then with windchill i spose it might freeze......... if its inside the coup i would be tempted to just lag it with a radiator jacket or something like that

7. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    Heat tape, Same stuff used for exposed water pipes anywhere. you then cover the pipe and the tape with insulation. if pecking is a problem for the insulation you can wrap the whole package in tape. they actual make a tape for pipe (Gas Lines) so it should not be to expensive.

8. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I used nipples in a 2 gallon bucket and dropped a 25 watt aquarium heater ( about $20.00)
    for about half this winter here in Wyoming. Temps down close to zero and no problems.

I will be using the same again this winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by