1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can old chickens give good eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by domromer, Jul 21, 2007.

1. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    Yesterday I was reading storrys guide to raising chickens. In the section about egg production, the author made it sound like after 2 years a chicken would be totally worthless for eggs. I'd like to keep my girls for more than 2 years. But I would also still like decent eggs. I don't have enough room to raise another flock. So does anybody have chickens that are older than 2 years and still laying decent quality eggs?

2. Rooster01

Rooster01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Southern WV
    They still lay good eggs, just not as many. After about three years of egg laying, they start going down hill and the eggs will cost more.

3. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I have a Black Sexlink that hatched October 5th, 2005. She was laying an egg a day til she went broody 3 weeks ago. I have an EE that hatched the same day and she gives me a beautiful Blue egg almost every day. My other BSL that also hatched that day has slowed down, and my Dom who hatched with them has chicks right now, but she was still laying good too. Its true that younger pullets/hens lay better, but the older ones arent totally worthless. [​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I have some 3 year olds that are laying well. Maybe not an egg a day, but still 3 to 4 a week.
    I guess it depends on if they are pets or just for egg production. The Storey's Guide is more geared for cost effectiveness than petkeeping. Just go with what you have hens for. Mine are pets so they will be here til they die. [​IMG]

5. Grace Boyer

Grace Boyer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    I have an eight year old hen that still lays well. Not every day, but every few days. In fact, I think she lay better than the four year old. I think chickens lay and live longer if they're tame, but I don't know if that's scientifically correct. The quality of the egg seems to be as good from an eight year old hen as itis from a one year old, though.

6. domromer

domromer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Flagstaff,AZ
    yeah my ladies are pets, so I guess when they really slow down I'll will need to buy eggs elsewhere. All I need is 1 dozen per week. I figure I should be able to get that out of 6 birds for a few years. Next time I get new chicks I'm going to try not to name them, or keep there brooder in the main house. It's hard not to get attached when you are holding them 10x per day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by