Can Old Goosey make new friends?

Mrsdymacek

Hatching
May 5, 2015
I grew up on a farm and my mom got me 6 Embden goslings for my 16th birthday. They were barnyard geese and while they were never really a nuisance, they weren't pets in the socialized, often handled sense of the word. Well here I am, 32 years old, having been to college and worked in the city for 10 years and my parents still have one of my geese still living!

Now my hubby and I are moving back out to the country and will have a modest coop and 1 acre lot. I'd like to get some new chickens/ducks/geese but I am wondering if I should take Goosey from Mom and Dad (she has no other friends there and doesn't really get to roam) and incorporate her into my new coop or if I would be inviting more trouble than it is worth?

I grew up on a farm and my mom got me 6 Embden goslings for my 16th birthday. They were barnyard geese and while they were never really a nuisance, they weren't pets in the socialized, often handled sense of the word. Well here I am, 32 years old, having been to college and worked in the city for 10 years and my parents still have one of my geese still living!

Now my hubby and I are moving back out to the country and will have a modest coop and 1 acre lot. I'd like to get some new chickens/ducks/geese but I am wondering if I should take Goosey from Mom and Dad (she has no other friends there and doesn't really get to roam) and incorporate her into my new coop or if I would be inviting more trouble than it is worth?
Goosey gander or goose? I'd say Goosey would love some goose companions it would have to be introduced slowly but I'd think having a few geese for Goosey would probably add some more years to his or hers life. My gander was 5 when I finally got him a goose mate he had grown up with Muscovy ducks but he is one happy gander now that he has his own family of 3 beside himself. Depending on sex if Goosey is a gander you probably wouldn't want to bring another gander into his life at his age. But a female or 2 would be nice.

Welcome to BYC.

Yes, Goosey is a goose! (Good question, that hadn't occurred to me!) Thank you!
So Now the question do you want to introduce a gander to Goosey are her age they can have raging hormones when young, or would another female be better just for companionship? You might could look around and see if you have any water fowl rescues in your area, Here in NC there is Carolina water fowl rescue and they adopt out geese ducks etc, so possibly you might find an older more settled goose for Goosey.I have a friend who is a member here who has 2 rescued geese both older gals that are doing fine together.Or an older gander?? just thoughts.

Last edited:
I think a female companion would be ideal. We do not have a water fowl rescue program that I can locate. Your one in NC is about 4 hours away for us. Hmm... I will have to continue to think on this.

I think a female companion would be ideal. We do not have a water fowl rescue program that I can locate. Your one in NC is about 4 hours away for us. Hmm... I will have to continue to think on this.
Road trip?? lol might be worth it, the folks at CWR are awesome. Have a great website too. wish I was closer I'd volunteer there. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom