Can one chicken lay 2 eggs in one day, as it's first eggs ever?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cswartout, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Put a camera in the coop, then you will know. LOL !!!!
    funny thing is some people do !!

People really install cameras? Wow, I don't feel so weird now ordering a baby monitor to put in the hen house.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] Ive read post about people putting them in !!!

So funny a baby monitor [​IMG]

If you dont mind me asking what the reason for that would be ?

3. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Absolutely possible. In fact, the very same thing happened to me with my silver-laced wyandotte. I guess they're just show offs! [​IMG]

I'm positive that's what happened because I only had two hens at the time and the other was a silver phoenix. If you consult the Henderson chicken breed chart, it says that wyandottes lay a light to rich brown egg while a phoenix lays a white to tinted egg. My phoenix didn't start laying for another month.

I'm also positive that she didn't lay one of the eggs one day and the other the next and I just didn't find it. They lived in a small chicken tractor and I combed every inch of that little thing each day in search of the magic first egg. Also, we were moving so I *just* cleaned the whole thing out and didn't even have straw in there for her to hide an egg.

She laid one at 10am n the next box and the other at 1pm on the gravel in the run. Nice! [​IMG]

4. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    mine did!

a week or so ago, she laid her very first egg..i went in to tell my husband and when i came back out..she had just laid a second one in the very same place! shes our only one of laying age too, so it was definitely her.

5. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    I searched this subject because I have two girls, one white layer and one brown layer. Today... my girls left me one white egg and one brown egg in the yard. Then I checked the nesting box and found another brown egg and another white egg? Is this normal behavior?

6. Hoot

Hoot Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2009
    Canaveral Groves, FL.
    My grand dad had a few chickens that laid double yolks eggs quite often and he claimed one of them would lay two eggs a day every now and then.

They were some 4 H white leghorn chickens he lucked up on that were very well taken care of.

He was also well known for spinning a tale.

Hoot

7. rockchick

rockchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    We are convinced one of our brown hens just laid two eggs, one after the other. She was sitting in the nesting box - there were no eggs in there when she went in, and when she came out there were two - both warm, recently laid. One was quite wrinkly and the other perfect! Strange or not?[​IMG]

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Unlikely but could happen. I think theirs this chicken that had 2 eggs in one day. But its 1-100 of a chance.

9. Phyll'sFarmFamily

Phyll'sFarmFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Old Church, Virginia
    I didn't think it was possible because of the 25 hour cycle.........until......... I was away for a week and left my dh to watch over the chickens. When I came home there were too many eggs for the days that I was gone. When I asked him about it he told me that there were 3 eggs a couple of the days. Well my little Columbian Wyandotte has laid 2 eggs twice in 5 days [​IMG]
    I only have 2 that are laying- 1 Sex Link with brown eggs and my 5 month old Wyandotte. My other 2 haven't laid eggs in years (they are 9 and 7)

10. meathook

meathook Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Mine just started laying and I have gotten soft shelled eggs two at a time out of more than one bird. Generally they come on the roost and I find them on the poop board right together. I think what happens in this case is that the bird starts forming an egg and another one comes down the canal for a shell and neither ever get fully formed before they are dropped out. Just my theory no basis in scientific fact.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by