Can Orpingtons and Cochins live together?

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
I have read and been told that Orps tend to be picked on more than other breeds. But I really would love to have a Cochin or two as well as some Orps?

Will they get along well enough? I dont want any hurt girls.

Thanks

I have had all kinds together with no problems. As long as you have enough space, I don't see why picking should be an issue. My cochin bantams are very sweet.

I have a RIR/cochin cross who is definately on the botton of the pecking order. She is constantly being harassed by the older RIR and austrolorps. I'm sure she would've been killed once or twice if I hadn't intervened. When she is picked on she just hunkers down and takes a beating. All of her hatchmates will also get pecked on by the older ones but they know to run for their lives and get out of the way, not that poor cochin though.
My youngest one really feels sorry for the cochin because she is "different" with her feather footed. She is a really sweet hen, comes right up to you to be picked up, probally more likely to be protected from the other meanies.

Cory

Forgot to add that my buff orp/austrolorp hen is probally the meanest one when it comes to picking on the my little cochin. She is the one that normally starts the trouble and get my cochin pinned on the ground, then all the other older hens join in the mob beatings.
But in general I've heard orpingtons and cochins are very gently and mild mannered ladies.
I would say go for it as long as they have enough room. Good luck I'm sure they will work out any problems they have....atyleast that what I'm hoping for.

Cory

Most breeds will get along just fine if raised together. You will want to keep a close eye on them to make sure that the pecking order doesn't get out of line though.

Yes I would definately try it. I have quite a few different kinds of breeds and at first there are squabbles which are normal until everyone figures out where they are and then all is fine.

Back
Top Bottom