Can our 6 wk old duck be released?

ginaknotek

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
Hi,

About 6 wks ago we purchased a baby duck and three baby chicks to raise in our backyard for our granddaughter. The duck has far surpassed the size of the chicks and I just feel the duck would be happier in a pond with other ducks. We live in town and keep them all in a chicken coop with pen in our backyard . Our backyard has a privacy fence plus they don't have free roam. We so love him/her but I just can't help but think he would be happier elsewhere. I am not home during the day, so they stay in the coop/pen. I don't know the breed, but he/she is all black with a little white spot underneath his/her neck. Not a lot of info.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject? As far as climate right now, we live in south Texas and it's June so it's warming up quickly. The local ponds/lakes are warming up quickly this time of year.

Thanks for any help

UPDATE: 6-4-2014

After an overwhelming response to my question, I want to let everyone know that I will definitely not release our duckling. At the very least I will keep her until I find a suitable home (duck owner) that has a place for her. I have certainly learned so much more about ducks after reading your posts, and wish I had researched ducks, and the proper way to raise them before I purchased one. I talked to other people that were raising ducks with their chickens, the store where I got the duck, and they made it sound like it was pretty simple. My mistake, is that I researched raising chicks, what I needed, environment, appropriate size coop, etc. but relied on the fact that others had said I could raise them together, avoid a rooster as it would "take advantage of the duck if it were female," so I purchased only pullets to avoid that problem, and that they could eat the same food. Anyway my bad. As I said, I should have looked into it further.

Someone also mentioned that ducks need companionship and are flock animals. This explains why the duckling seems so lonely now. I just wish the stores that sell them would at the very least pass on some very basic information to prospective buyers. I mean people can buy these animals right and left for basically nothing, and then not take care of them.

Some of you have mentioned taking the duck. I may be in touch if you are within driving distance from me.

I want to thank all of you for your helpful posts. I was really impressed at the overwhelming response I received. Thank goodness I had you guys to come to.

Last edited:
I believe it is illegal to release a domestic duck into the wild. Plus it would be cruel. They can't fly so probably can't get away from predators and the wild ducks would probably attack it. I would suggest trying to re home it with someone else. List on Craigslist or on this site under buy sell trade.

If you release it, It will die. It is dependent on people for food and protection. So rehoming or keeping it are the only two options. I would try this site first there are a lot of great people who would love to take it.

Last edited:
Trust me, it's much better if you can give him away to someone who can take care of him rather than release him. Released ducks suffer a lot in their short lives. I see them every day and they're never as healthy and happy as they are when they have an owner and a secure area. Plus, they're easy prey for predators. If it is a female, she will not last a year because the males kill them with over breeding because she won't be able to fly away from them.

Can you PM me? I live near San Antonio Texas and have 7 ducks and 8 geese. I would be willing to take the duck if you really don't feel like you can make it happy. But do NOT release it, it will die.

Last edited:
If you decide to keep the duck, there are a few things to be aware of. First is that ducks need companions, they are flock animals and need at least 1 other duck for company. The other is that if your duck is a drake, or male, you will need to separate him from the chickens. Ducks have a penis, unlike roosters and penetrate during mating. This can cause major damage to a hen, possibly even killing the hen. Ducks are a joy to have with their personalities, but they do need certain things to be happy. A kiddie pool is perfectly fine for them as long as you clean it out daily. You can even throw feeder fish in there for the duck to chase and eat. But ducks are very messy, and female ducks have a very loud quack. I believe you said you lived in town, this loudness could annoy neighbors unless you speak to them about it before the duck starts quacking. Some people will enjoy having the ducks and chickens around, others won't appreciate the noise.

if you decide to keep the duck, there are threads that can give you all the information you need to keep the duck healthy and happy. If you decide not to keep the duck, please don't release it, domestic ducks can't fly and don't know how to fend for themselves at all. They would quickly be taken by predators, especially a 6 week old duck that isn't feathered and water proof yet.

As I stated before, I am in San Antonio and I have 7 ducks, I would happily bring yours here to join my flock. I have 2 crested Pekin females, 1 crested mallard female, 3 Cayuga females, and 1 Cayuga drake. The Cayuga ducklings are 3 weeks old. Here is a couple pics of my ducklings following their adoptive mom Ebony, the crested mallard taken today.

You may also list your duck on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum to find him/her a home. Or you could find someone with ducks near you to take him/her that way you could visit your duck as it grows.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom