Can our lovebird or cockateil catch poultry diseases?

mammat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2009
columbus ohio
We have a very sick hen with resp symptoms. I want to bring her in the house but do not want to make our lovebird or cockateil sick. In looking online it looks like most poultry diseases are limited to "fowl" and some dont even cross over to geese or ducks.....

We have a very sick hen with resp symptoms. I want to bring her in the house but do not want to make our lovebird or cockateil sick. In looking online it looks like most poultry diseases are limited to "fowl" and some dont even cross over to geese or ducks.....

Yes-- some avian diseases can pass between species. A good hand-washing, shoe-changing and if necessary clothes changing routine should be kept until you know exactly what is ailing your hen and if it is communicable or not.

Can you bring your hen inside and keep her in a room that has a different airspace than your pet parrots? If so then just follow the cleaning up routine when you finish with your hen each time so that you don't spread it to your pet birds.

I'm not trying to scare you, as it's uncommon, but it's important to know:
Please be aware that not only are a few diseases transferable to other birds, but also to people. Psittacosis / avian chlamydiosis / chlamydophilosis (usually manifests as respiratory distress and flu-like symptoms in birds) can not only pass from bird to bird, but also to people, so wash well. It is relatively uncommon in small flocks of chickens but it's not impossible. Main method of transmission is fecal and nasal discharge, but transmission is also known to be airborne in dried fecal matter particles and/or nasal discharge droplets.

Thanks! I brought her in and put in her in the finished basement. We have a HEPA filter on the furnace and are really washing and changing clothes and we are NOT handling the other birds. The hen is just so sick. I had her in the garage with the heater on her but the temp control was varied.

Thanks! I brought her in and put in her in the finished basement. We have a HEPA filter on the furnace and are really washing and changing clothes and we are NOT handling the other birds. The hen is just so sick. I had her in the garage with the heater on her but the temp control was varied.

Good plan! I really hope your hen pulls through. :( I'll keep you both in my thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom