can our two pekin live with our hen and rooster

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by achickenhead, May 21, 2011.

1. achickenhead

achickenhead Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    We have two new pekins, two new geese and existing full grown hen and rooster (bsl). We have a coop that could easily fit them all.

Will the rooster/hen hurt the new ducks/geese?

Any other advice would be appreciated!

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Your chicken house will be a mess. Not a great place for them if you can help it. Putting the water outside and possibly a waterer up high for only the chickens is good too as the waterfowl like to put their food in the water bowls and dribble it all over the coop=wet bedding.

3. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    They should be fine together. I had a pekin duck with a bunch of chickens and she didn't have any problems.

4. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    I just got ducks today and was told they could live in the chicken run/coop area no problems, as long as I supplied the ducks with a kiddy pool or pond of some sort...I hope it all works out since that is the plan... [​IMG]

5. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    My ducks live with my chickens. I think so long as they have enough room they are ok.

6. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Mine live together. And the ducks are the boss! I have a kiddy pool outside. I keep food and water outside during they day. And I spread it apart some.

But like stated above, ducks are wet. So I can see how it could be a problem if you didn't have plenty of room. I have a good sized coop and they all free range during the day.

7. achickenhead

achickenhead Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Northern Ontario
    Thank you all for your responses! Particularly b/c they were favorable...[​IMG]

We have two danish geese as well. They have been living with our ducks in the garage in a kiddy pool for 20 days. They seem to be getting along well also as they are snuggling and cuddling all day long. They have just grown so much in the last week! I want to give them much more room and set up their pond, etc.

We live in northern Ontario Canada and the weather has finally hit the high teens/twentys (degrees C) in the last couple weeks. I was hoping to move them outside to the coop/run with a heat lamp as the evenings can still be chilly (40F ish some nights). Our trees are JUST getting leaves and my rhubarb and perennials are about three inches high...Come on spring move it..

We have been raising chickens for three years - for meat and we have kept a couple egg layers each winter. This is our first experience with geese and ducks. I have tried to find more info on here about the white danish geese two but apparently they are only avail. in Canada? I have found quite a bit of info about the Pekin ducks and are looking forward to seeing them part of our mini farm. Still have to decide if we are going to keep or eat...

Thanks again.. for the advice and comments!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by