Can overmating feather loss spur a molt?

Jasfarm

Songster
Nov 16, 2021
New England
Hello!

I have 10 hens and 1 roo, and as it’s spring, penguin is doing what all good roos do and going through Rooberty.

Penguin and 5 hens were all raised together. They will be 1 year, April 1. Then I have one Buff Orp who is ~4 or 5 years old and four Lav Orps who will be 2 in May.

The 5 hens who were raised with Penguin tend to be his favorites. One is now molting (i think) due to his mating. I have inspected her for lice, mites, and all creepy crawlies. Nothing (unless it's deplumming, but i don't see signs such as feather pulling/picking or itching). She has since stopping laying.

Saddles are one the girls who had some light feather damage. However, one (who won't let us near her) i checked under her saddle tonight is completely BALD under her saddle. Absolutely no feathers and she has feathers before. Can feather loss from mating spur a molt? Or do i have something more nefarious going on? She is currently still laying.

Penguin is separated in the afternoons during his “peak” hours so the girls get a much needed rest.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7497.jpeg
    IMG_7497.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 35
One is now molting (i think) due to his mating. I have inspected her for lice, mites, and all creepy crawlies. Nothing (unless it's deplumming, but i don't see signs such as feather pulling/picking or itching). She has since stopping laying.

Saddles are one the girls who had some light feather damage. However, one (who won't let us near her) i checked under her saddle tonight is completely BALD under her saddle. Absolutely no feathers and she has feathers before. Can feather loss from mating spur a molt? Or do i have something more nefarious going on? She is currently still laying.
Photos of the feather loss?

Feathers that are rubbed off or broken with the feather shaft still intact in the skin will not be replaced until the bird goes through a molt.

While hen saddles can be helpful in preventing loss, they can also rub and some feathers can be broken or rubbed off.

It's important to check saddle fit and skin underneath a couple of times a week. If she's a hen that is hard to catch/handle, wait until she's roosting so you can examine her.

Photos of the feather loss?

Feathers that are rubbed off or broken with the feather shaft still intact in the skin will not be replaced until the bird goes through a molt.

While hen saddles can be helpful in preventing loss, they can also rub and some feathers can be broken or rubbed off.

It's important to check saddle fit and skin underneath a couple of times a week. If she's a hen that is hard to catch/handle, wait until she's roosting so you can examine her.
The first photo is Stella. She has not had a saddle, and she keeps clear of penguin (unless it’s their nighttime cuddles).

Second is Smokey. She was wearing a saddle and is clearly in much better shape.

Third is Kelly and she is the one where I’m like holy heck how did this happen. She was NOT bald when we put on the saddle. Maybe it’s too small?

Penguin will now be in a separate space to minimize damage to her poor back :( he’s a good guy, but I know we can risk her getting torn up. Thank goodness his spurs aren’t in.

Attachments

• IMG_8744.jpeg
    IMG_8744.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8743.jpeg
    IMG_8743.jpeg
    375 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8742.jpeg
    IMG_8742.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 8
He's probably mating Kelly more than the others. Saddles will help protect the skin, but feathers can be worn off with a lot of mounting.

He's young, it's getting close to spring, he's just feeling his oats. As the year progresses, he will probably slow down a bit or the older hens may be more accepting and he'll spread the love more evenly.

Her skin doesn't look too bad. You can try a larger saddle with wing protectors. If he's good to the girls, they like him and you have plenty of room, I'd be inclined to leave him with them and monitor what's going on under the saddles at least 2x a week.

I've used saddles, they do work o.k. but sometimes they can slide around, so you may have to try out a different style or fit to find one that works for the hens.

He's probably mating Kelly more than the others. Saddles will help protect the skin, but feathers can be worn off with a lot of mounting.

He's young, it's getting close to spring, he's just feeling his oats. As the year progresses, he will probably slow down a bit or the older hens may be more accepting and he'll spread the love more evenly.

Her skin doesn't look too bad. You can try a larger saddle with wing protectors. If he's good to the girls, they like him and you have plenty of room, I'd be inclined to leave him with them and monitor what's going on under the saddles at least 2x a week.

I've used saddles, they do work o.k. but sometimes they can slide around, so you may have to try out a different style or fit to find one that works for the hens.
Thank you so much! I’m glad that it’s not as bad as I thought.

I think it’s also tough as we’re in New England and they have zero coverage so they are confined in their run (hawks are also out in full force). I always try to give them at least an hour or so if we’re outside and our dog who chases hawks off.

It’s the perfect storm!

Thank you! I really appreciate your guidance!

Back
Top Bottom