1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Oyster Shells Replace Grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by FarmersHatchery, Sep 22, 2012.

1. FarmersHatchery

FarmersHatchery Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2012
    West Central Missouri
    I am wanting to get grit for my chickens that are locked up in pens and can't naturally eat rocks themselves. Then I was thinking I might as well pay a little more for oyster shells instead, but I didn't know if that would work in place or not. My question is, can Oyster Shells replace Grit, is it it nessacry to feeding them both Oyster Shells and Grit? Thanks!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Oyster Shells are soluble so I do not believe they could be used to replace grit. I think they may a great addition to feed but are not a requirement depending on the feed.

3. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Grit is to help break down food.
    Oyster Shell is calcium for hen that are laying.

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Oyster shell is too soft to function as grit. They need hard rocks with some sharpness to them. Commercial grit is crushed granite scrap. One sack will last quite a while. You can serve it in a container on the wall so it doesn't get fouled with droppings and so you can easily tell when it needs refilled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by