Can Peking ducks survive on their own???

No, he’s just “the Peking”…I’ve never had or even been close to a Peking before…his body is huge and his wings are relatively short…completely different from the Cayugas…those Cayugas that live nearby I have seen fly 100 yards from the park to the lake. They are big ducks but also have bigger wings. Whereas the pekin is truly flightless…in fact I tried to pick him up today and just let him sit on my leg, he fought me until I let him go…180 degree difference from the day I found him. And he’s definitely gained some weight back

No, he’s just “the Peking”…I’ve never had or even been close to a Peking before…his body is huge and his wings are relatively short…completely different from the Cayugas…those Cayugas that live nearby I have seen fly 100 yards from the park to the lake. They are big ducks but also have bigger wings. Whereas the pekin is truly flightless…in fact I tried to pick him up today and just let him sit on my leg, he fought me until I let him go…180 degree difference from the day I found him. And he’s definitely gained some weight back
Oh, I still remember picking up my first Pekin, only ever handling ducklings and lighter breeds before. He was hefty! And strong! I couldn’t even believe the difference.

Sounds like he’s a lot healthier :) I got my Pekin as an adult too, he hadn’t had much human interaction for a couple years. Still, I worked with him, and eventually was able to get him to come when called for food. I’m pretty sure he even knows his name 😂 He’s the only adult duck I’ve been able to pick up and touch, all while he just stands there and wags his tail happily.

I’m sure if you worked with your boy, he’d come around like my boy, too.

Oh, I still remember picking up my first Pekin, only ever handling ducklings and lighter breeds before. He was hefty! And strong! I couldn’t even believe the difference.

Sounds like he’s a lot healthier :) I got my Pekin as an adult too, he hadn’t had much human interaction for a couple years. Still, I worked with him, and eventually was able to get him to come when called for food. I’m pretty sure he even knows his name 😂 He’s the only adult duck I’ve been able to pick up and touch, all while he just stands there and wags his tail happily.

I’m sure if you worked with your boy, he’d come around like my boy, too.
I never planned to have large ducks (all mine are call / mandarin / exotics…). Plus they are easier to handle…bring inside occasionally …I only had those mallards as a holdover from some ducklings we got years ago, in fact it was only a pair until they hatched one duckling hatched last summer (the hen has had a few nests, but I think she lays too many eggs or leaves them too long during incubation…but only one ever actually hatched)

///

But the Peking seems to have bonded with the mallards very quickly, no fighting (unusual when adding new duck). The mallard female quacked her alarm quack when he first arrived but now they are friends. I could take the Peking to a friend’s farm (they have a pond) who has ducks, but same friend loses a couple to predators every year since not fenced (his ducks and geese just sleep on the water. My aviary is a fenced and netted 30’ square with a small pond…I think Peking duck has needs a good home so I’ll keep him

Back
Top Bottom