Can purebred silkies lay green eggs?

I am not planning on breeding anything beyond healthy, pet-quality silkies so the green eggs are probably a non-issue anyways. I just don't want anyone feeling duped.

You could say something like, "Normal Silkies don't lay green eggs, but some of these do!"

Green eggs are not the "right" color for Silkies to lay, but people who want fun backyard pets might like the green eggs better than normal ones.

You could say something like, "Normal Silkies don't lay green eggs, but some of these do!"

Green eggs are not the "right" color for Silkies to lay, but people who want fun backyard pets might like the green eggs better than normal ones.
Absolutely, to many people colourful eggs are a bonus. Hence the existence of every cross-bred moss/sage/olive/easter egger.

Absolutely, to many people colourful eggs are a bonus. Hence the existence of every cross-bred moss/sage/olive/easter egger.

I would bet the green gene comes on the either of your hens . I have a banty frizzle that lays a green egg one of the hens would have got it through one parent.

There are many folks trying to develop Silkies that lay colored eggs. You are lucky you got some! While they are not technically “purebred“ they certainly look like it in the photos and I’m sure they are well over 90% Silkie.😊
That's what had me so confused about them! I'm not an expert, but without seeing their egg colour I would have never questioned the "purebred" label. Like I mentioned earlier, there are hatchery bred silkies that have way more faults (red combs, single combs, four toes) and yet they still are sold as purebred birds. Either way, I'm just glad to have a group of healthy, friendly chickens. That matters more than any breed standard in my opinion.

That is very neat you've got some with the blue egg gene! Certainly there are breeders out there that have worked to introduce the gene but keep to the silkie standard as closely as possible. Defining them as pure or not is really just about how much of a stickler you want to be.

Given the traits and how they look I'd say they are very high percentage silkie, I wouldn't call them mixes myself despite another breed being mixed in at some point to get the blue egg gene. If you go back far enough even the US silkies considered pure and bred to the APA and ABA standard had other breeds mixed in to get certain traits breeders wanted. Breeds to introduce heavier foot feathering, larger crests, and beards for the bearded variety were crossed in long ago. To get certain colors that are now standard colors for silkies other breeds had to be crossed in as well. After an outcross to another breed it only takes around 7 or so generations of crossing back to a silkie to get birds that are over 99% silkie genetically. In chickens there isn't any set number of generations or anything like that before something is considered technically pure (at least that I am aware of). If it looks close enough to breed standard and doesn't have DQs it can be shown and even win as that breed.

You'll find opinions divided and some are very concerned about purity. You can't please everyone but your birds are lovely and much nicer than many hatchery silkies (not to knock all hatchery silkies, some hatcheries have nicer stock than others). Simply showing pictures of your breeding flock/parents of the chicks or juveniles you sell should be a good way to help demonstrate the quality of your birds. That is more than a lot of people do selling locally. I would definitely mention that they have the chance of laying green eggs as well and hopefully to most it will be more of a draw than a detriment. :)

I would totally love a Silkie that laid green eggs! Your birds are lovely and I agree with everyone else, they can see with their eyes that they are silkies just with the added plus of a colored egg! 🙃 It is nice to know you are concerned with being honest with people you sell to, but I can’t see why anyone but serious Poultry exhibitors and breeders might pass on them :-D Lucky is what I consider you! 😁

Thank you to everyone for your replies, I really appreciate this. My eggs are starting to pip, and I can't wait for the tiny little fluffballs to emerge! This has been a wonderful welcome to the BYC community, I'm so glad I joined :)
Oh! That's so egg-citing! :weeGoodluck with the hatch! I'd love to see pics of the chicks 😍

Back
Top Bottom