Can Purple Shampoo Remove Yellow From Feathers?

ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I show chickens on a very small, amateur scale, but I want to improve and try new breeds to show. Although, I'm worried about yellowing feathers. Because I don't professionally show or plan on professionally showing any time soon, all the chickens I show are in the sun and outside, free ranging when I can watch them, and this leads to the sun coloring any white feathers yellow, which has costed me when showing birds with white. I have aimed for trying to show black or dark breeds to prevent this, but I really want to go for lighter breeds--if it wasn't for this pesky problem! So, I've seen videos about HUMANS using purple shampoo to get blonde/white hair from their bronze, orange, or yellow hair before dyeing or coloring it. Obviously, feathers are different from human hair or even fur. I don't know the ingredients of purple shampoo or anything about what chemicals in shampoo would hurt a chicken. I typically use gentle baby/child shampoo for my chickens and it cleans them but doesn't do much else.

So really, would purple shampoo work on feathers? But most of all, is it dangerous for them and I should stop thinking about it now?

Some of my white birds develop those annoying yellowed feathers, and others don't. With the same environment and diet. So it's a genetic tendency?! My avatar, Solo, never had a yellow feather. Our two current Chantie cockerels, almost one year of age, are showing that trait. Fortunately I don't show my birds, so it's only annoying, not terrible.
Ask show folks with your breed, or another white show chicken person.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom