Can Quail use chicken nipples?

dpenning

Crowing
8 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Blue Ridge, TX
They seem so tiny I don't know if they would have the strength to push the lever on the horizontal watering nipples I use for my hens. I'm looking for alternatives to the traditional waterer that gets nasty in minutes.

Does anyone use something like a gerbil or rabbit water bottle with quail?

Any input welcome!

I have used the rabbit water bottles with the ball bearing end.

Quail seem to have no problem with those.

Have not used the nipples so not sure

I don't know quail, or horizontal nipples, but the verticals need barely a touch to release water. Here's a video I made yesterday of 2 of my chickens (one a banty) using the verticals. They've been using it since 3 weeks old, but people give them to new baby chicks. The water is always clean! I love it!

I don't know quail, or horizontal nipples, but the verticals need barely a touch to release water. Here's a video I made yesterday of 2 of my chickens (one a banty) using the verticals. They've been using it since 3 weeks old, but people give them to new baby chicks. The water is always clean! I love it!
You know I forgot I had a bucket with vertical nipples in it. I'll have to figure out how I can hang it in their hutch when I move them. Right now they are in a water trough.... got my wheels turning, thanks!

In some of my juvi brooders I hang a 2-liter Coke bottle with single chicken nipple that has been screwed into a pre-drilled bottle cap. (See photo below.) On the bottom of the Coke bottle, I drill a small hole and thread through a wire with a metal nut attached to one end of the wire to hold the wire in place. On the other end of the wire I attach a popsicle stick, and that's how I hang the bottle from the top of the brooder. I also place a small cat-food bowl under the drinker to catch any drips or dribbles. That keeps the bedding dry, and some chicks prefer to drink the drips instead of from the nipple. As for quail chicks, you should have no problem using chicken nipples with them.
drinker.jpg

I use the little cup style waterer that screws into a bucket just like the nipples (made by the same company too) My quail took to it right away, and I love that I only have to fill their four gallon bucket once in a blue moon! Water stays clean too.

I use the little cup style waterer that screws into a bucket just like the nipples (made by the same company too) My quail took to it right away, and I love that I only have to fill their four gallon bucket once in a blue moon! Water stays clean too.
Thanks, I just got back with a bunny water bottle, i'll see if i can figure out how to rig that in the brooder. It is not a big deal to change the water 2-3 times per day in the brooder since it is on my back porch so i really need to find the solution for when i have them in the hutch in the yard.

Yes, they can use the chicken nipples from day one. I use both the jar water with quail lid and nipple the 1st couple days until I see them using the nipple but they seem to take to it right away. I have used the rabbit bottle when they are older.

Back
Top Bottom