Can rabbits live outdoors, even in winter?

Rabbits are rabbits. They can live outside just fine. They are probably healthier outside than they are inside anyway. Keep in mind rabbits can tolerate cold a whole lot better than they can heat. They also cannot tolerate drafty or wet conditions.
This theory works if we are talking about wild rabbits. Domestic buns are a bit different than wild ones. While it certainly can be done, I think all the points, especially about socialization in @EverythingDucks post are correct.

Choosing whether or not to house indoors is a personal decision, and no one should be shamed for it so long as the rabbit is happy and healthy. Each individual rabbit and owner is going to be different.

But there are risks to be aware of, and it's important to remember that surviving is not thriving. We all want the best for our pets. And I believe we should put their needs above our own convenience.

Hello everyone! Thank you all so much for your support, help and advice. I appreciate it so much! I can see that this is somewhat of a debated topic. While not a beginner in rabbit raising, I am a beginner in outdoor rabbit raising, but I am thinking I am gonna give it a try. As long as my bunny is happy and healthy. But if not, I will look into other options! I will probably house it in our unfinished apartment in the winter tho. Again thank you all so much!

This theory works if we are talking about wild rabbits. Domestic buns are a bit different than wild ones. While it certainly can be done, I think all the points, especially about socialization in @EverythingDucks post are correct.
Just for the record, I was not talking about wild rabbits. I wouldn't be because I have no experience with them. The only rabbits I have ever raised were white New Zealands. That is it. They tolerated the cold just fine. The heat not so much.

Back
Top Bottom