can red goldens being sexed as early as? ????

yep, that's true

wasnt thinking of the barred tail too, I was on chick mode but yes if they get to that point you can tell by tail bars, over all redder look, and leg color by then

We have pheasants for the 1st time this year, and let me say......that"eye" thing is definitely for the PROFESSIONALS!!!!! I even pulled some pictures up someone posted noting the differences.....and I couldn't see a difference! Guess it comes with experience.

WOW!! 2 years before full color....amazing!!! I think its cool how they are all different colors when they hatch. We had 2 dark and 2 light colored. Unfortunately, the dark ones flew away, never to return.

legs on the males will be birght yellow
duller and darker on the hens

on the eyes it's a pro thing at a week or so, will just be a halo ring around the iris
after 3-4 months though, anyone can tell, they'll either be blue or brown, going yellow on the blue ones with time.

ok. So now my 3 red goldens are starting to really look different from one another. 2 have barred tails and pale blue eyes (males?) and 1 has chocolate brown eyes and a solid tail (female?) i read the posts over and noticed that someone said that barring is a female trait in red goldens and that solid tail coloring was a male trait. Mine seem to be the opposite.......is there a possibility that these may not be red goldens????? any other reason anyone can think of?

unfortunately, posting pictures is not an options.....we only have dial up
sad.png

Obviously, im sure that 2 are of one sex and the other is of another sex but now I'm asking for knowledge. The individual I purchased these from also has lady amherst and ringneck pheasants. The juveniles seem to have an orange glow to them now also.

Cute.jpg

Female, Male Red Goldens at 3 1/2 months. Notice their eyes, breasts and size also, the male is noticeably larger at this stage and colors are tending towards red/orange spectrum whereas the female is brown. I'll try and get a pic with their tails later, my camera battery is charging.

Don't need another photo unless you want to post it. I am fairly certain that the bird on the left is a hen and the bird on the right is a male. Here is another tidbit of information about the difference in a male/female: a male will not have as much color in the beak as the female. Look closely at the two birds. There is more brown or darker color on the hen's beak (left bird) than on the male's (right birds). I've raised a lot of these birds and you have a pair in this latest photo.

Look under the right birds eye, there is already a small wattle developing. He is a male. Believe it
smile.png
Good looking birds.

True!
big_smile.png
I know I got a pair! It's that other person that was asking. I posted my pic as an example. I've noticed what you mentioned oleduke about the beaks. I was actually just thinking about it today when I was looking at them. These are my first! I love em.

The breeder was able to sex mine. I'm impressed because they did look identical to my untrained eye when they were younger. Then the size difference and eyes became apparent and now that they are feathering out it's really obvious.
-Cielo

Back
Top Bottom