Can Roos breed when they are molting?

happyhens120

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Central PA
I have 5 eggs in the incubator from this past Tuesday (Aug. 23), and I candled them a minute ago and I don't see anything obvious saying they are fertile/developing. My rooster is molting right now. Poor guy is a beautiful Orp and has lost half of his hackle and most of his tail feathers.
hmm.png

My question is this... do roosters breed when they are molting? I'm wondering if I'm just wasting my time with this batch of eggs. I have only seen him breed once since the molt, but he is usually a private gentleman. Maybe I am candling too early?
idunno.gif
I've never tried hatching eggs before so I'm not exactly sure how to candle them, but I've read up on them and it seems like my method is correct. My ladies also lay dark eggs, so I'm hoping that since I'm a newbie I'm just not sure what to look for.

Thanks for the advice!

Yes roosters are fertile and do breed while they are molting. You are candling a little early especially on dark shelled eggs. Be patient.
lol.png

Ok that's good news! The poor guy looks pathetic, so I wasn't sure if he would be "up for the challenge"! I am not one for patience, so this has been difficult for me.
barnie.gif
I'm crossing my fingers that I'll see something around 10 days or so.
fl.gif
When do you normally candle brown eggs? I couldn't see any kinds of veins or moving or dark spots. Just saw the air sac at the bottom (or top since I candled wide end up), and I thought perhaps a blood ring, but not sure. At least I know that it's a possibility during molting.

Thanks a million! I'll keep you posted!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom