can roos have hemrhoids? GRAPHIC PIC

fishnet1971

'Birds Momma
13 Years
May 25, 2010
'Bird 'n the Fluffy Butts coop in Ohio
I have a roo with his butt looking like a donut outside of him. Excuse my frankness, but I dont know how to put it any other way. He has not been feeling well, and i went to clean his sticky butt when i saw it. it looks like it is imflamed. Not picked at or anything. Is this possible? any clue how to treat? can i just use prep. h?
I am sorry about the photo

58585_blusbutt.jpg

Last edited:
It appears to me that the poo is causing the inflammation; it seems to be caked on a bit, and when they have watery poo that gets stuck around the tender tissue of the cloaca like that, it can most definitely cause irritation. I would give this boy a bath in warm water...let him soak at least 15 minutes to loosen up the poo on his feathers, and then get it all worked off and get him cleaned up. That should help tremendously.

You said he hasn't been feeling well...once you get him cleaned up (take your time, sometimes poo stuck on feathers takes a good while to soak off), let us know what his symptoms are and maybe we can figure out what's ailing the boy.

I agree on the warm bath first. If after a couple days of warm baths it doesn't shrink up I would use the prep h. Make sure his bottom is fully dry before putting him back outside.

pips&peeps :

He also has fowl mites. You can see the debris on the upper feathers of the vent in the photo

Wow. Good eye. You are 100% correct. Looks like the whole flock will need to be treated- coop and all.​

pips&peeps :

He also has fowl mites. You can see the debris on the upper feathers of the vent in the photo

I missed it, too - was concentrating on his vent in the pic, but I see the debris now. Good eye!​

I have been dusting him with DE for about a week now. none of the others have shown any anywhere! He has had them in the past also. I cant figure out why. He is on the bottom of the chain with my flock. (he is a secondary roo in my flock). The coop was dusted, floor dusted completely and i add some to the pine shavings everytime i rake or clean it. I use a catlitter scooper every day with my flock to keep the coop clean. I have the nests boxes dusted with DE also. I cant figure out why he still has them. I checked last week for any more mites, and couldnt find anything crawling. Everyone tells me that they have dusted with powdered 7. I am afraid to do it because i know it is poisonous. Do i use it just like i do the DE? I put that in a grated cheese container and just flip him over, lift his feathers and shake it right on his skin.

DE won't kill mites, unfortunately. I've had a couple infestations (wild birds carry them, so it's difficult to NOT get them once in awhile). The only way I was able to get rid of them once when it was a particularly bad infestation was that I used poultry dust - it's like seven powder, but made for poultry. Dusted each chicken (you MUST do them ALL) liberally as you described, then I moved them to an area I knew to be free of mites (I used a spare horse stall for a few hours). I then removed all the bedding, and even Shop-Vac'd to make sure I got all the little pieces. I sprayed the walls and nest boxes lightly with flea PREMISE spray made for dogs, as that kills mites as effectively and also kills eggs. Then, I allowed it to dry for several hours, and then sprinkled everything with the poultry dust and added fresh shavings. I did ALL this again 7 days later, to make sure to treat any mites that hatched out. It's a huge pain to get rid of them, but they wreak havoc if you don't.

Back
Top Bottom