Can roosters and hens in-breed if I leave them together?

Hi Saladin, thanks for your replies. I am totally new to showing my birds, I never have shown any before. How do I go about preparing a bird for showing, and what in your opinion makes a winning bird?

Showing birds:

First, you need a Standard.
Second, I would suggest going to a show (not a county fair) and talk to folks there. See what they do and how they do it.
Third, jump right in.

As to winning, it's really like anything else. There are folks that have been showing and breeding fowl for years. Don't expect to beat them. Do it because you enjoy it. With time and acquiring skills in breeding you might just win, but don't start showing to win. You'll be disappointed.

That said, it is much easier for a new person to the whole world of showing fowl to do well at the local fair. It is a great place to start, but understand the difference between the local fair and a Poultry Show is the difference between daylight and dark.

I like to win, but I exhibit my birds because I love my birds.

What are standards? How do local fairs and poultry shows differ, in terms of sheer numbers to compete with or the quality of birds been shown?

Local fairs can have really good competition, but are often just average joe birds. An APA/ABA sanctioned Poultry Show will feature birds like you have never even seen before.

American Standard published by APA
Bantam Standard published by ABA

The Standard tells what the particular breed should look like (ideal) and colors. It is very exact; yet offers room for the artistic expression of the individual breeder. A Standard is essential for showing.

Back
Top Bottom