Can scovie live in harmony with chicken and other breeds of ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jackrooster, Nov 14, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    Im thinking about getting some scovie ducks. My question is can they live with chickens and other breeds of ducks?? I have bantams and standard chickens and ducks...or will the scovie hurt them??

2. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    They'll all live happily ever after, as long as their other living requirements are met. If there is ample space (indoor and outdoor), ample feeder/waterer space, they should be just fine. Overcrowding of any animals will spell disaster as they begin to compete for space, food, and water. [​IMG]

You will need to realize that crossing 'scovies with any other breed of domestic duck will result in sterile offspring. You'll want to separate the 'scovies from your other ducks during mating season so that you can get purebred hatching eggs, if that is your goal. Otherwise, you can let them run together. I've also heard that the sterile crosses, called mules, make excellent meat birds.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Our two 'Scovy hens live happily with our chicken hens and roos, and Call duck trio. The ducks free-range in the summer, spring, and fall by day. They all sleep in the same coop at night and all live in the same run when it snows during the winter. Never had an issue. My only suggestion is for you to not get a Muscovy drake. I hear they (as well at other standard sized drakes) will try and breed chicken hens and smaller ducks, as well as fight with roosters. Our Call drake is too small to mate the chickens, even bantams, and doesn't bother trying to pick a fight with our rooster. He will also mate with the 'Scovy girls.

4. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I have a muscovy drake named nibbles,He was the only egg to hatch out so I raised him with baby quail for a little while.Hes all grown up now and is the sweetest thing whenever I come out side he waddles to me and starts making that hissing noise and puts up his feathers on his head wanting to be pet.I got a rooster but it attacked all my chickens and ducks except nibbles who beat him up.I say the males are perfectly docile as long as you take the time to bring them up nicely and that no roosters are beating up there flock mates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by