Can scratch grains be used to grow fodder?

thytay&chickenmomma

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
NC
I have never grown fodder before & actually just learned about growing fodder today. I went out and have looked everywhere close to me and I cannot find whole barley or wheat seeds, I live in a very rural area. The closest I found is scratch grains, the ingredients are Cracked Corn, Whole Cleaned Oats, Whole Milo, Soybean Oil. Would this work?? I have found several places online that sell whole seeds but shipping added makes it too expensive.

No, that will not work b/c of the oil, and b/c of the cracked corn. Those items would make the grains prone to spoilage before they sprout. You may have to buy it on line if you can't find it locally. You could even buy something like this:

http://raganandmassey.com/brand/plotspike/

there are many companies that sell products like this. What ever you buy, be sure it's not been treated with any kind of fungicide or insecticide.

You can also sprout black oil sunflower seeds or bird seed as long as the bird seed does not have cracked grains in it.

Most feed stores SHOULD have bags of wheat or barley that are meant to be used as animal feed. You may have to buy a 50# bag, but that's really not much of an issue IMO. You can always share it with a friend or neighbor, use some of it for scratch, plant it as a green manure crop, or simply store it well, and you will have grain to use as fodder for a very long time. On the more expensive side, many health food stores sell whole grains that will sprout. You can also sprout lentils from the grocery store.

Only whole grains will work, I'm afraid. Are there any farmers around you that grow grains? In that case, you can probably buy it directly from them. Or they'll at least tell you where they get their supplies from.

I doubt it. What part of the world are you in?

Western Foothills of NC in a very very rural area.

No, that will not work b/c of the oil, and b/c of the cracked corn. Those items would make the grains prone to spoilage before they sprout. You may have to buy it on line if you can't find it locally. You could even buy something like this:

http://raganandmassey.com/brand/plotspike/

there are many companies that sell products like this. What ever you buy, be sure it's not been treated with any kind of fungicide or insecticide.

You can also sprout black oil sunflower seeds or bird seed as long as the bird seed does not have cracked grains in it.

I can get black oil sunflower seeds, would the fodder grown from the sunflower seeds be just as beneficial as the wheat or barley seeds? Sorry, new to this and all of the information I had found stated to use wheat or barley seeds, had no idea sunflower seeds would work too.

Only whole grains will work, I'm afraid. Are there any farmers around you that grow grains? In that case, you can probably buy it directly from them. Or they'll at least tell you where they get their supplies from.

The only 2 farms within a 2 hours drive of me do not have either, and both said they have never ordered either one unfortunately.

The only 2 farms within a 2 hours drive of me do not have either, and both said they have never ordered either one unfortunately.

That's too bad... :( Do you have any land of your own? I'm thinking if you did order some seeds, you can grow some outside and get a harvest out of it. Not this year of course, but a project for next year. That way you'll be able to grow your own small crop, and it won't be crazy expensive to order from far away.

If you have a TSC near a lot of people sprout fodder for their chickens PlotSpike forage oats they sell for deer food plots.
We have a regular dollar store where everything's a dollar, 2lb bags of pinto beans $1. Sprout great, good for them too. Just don't feed them dry beans (poisonous), cooked or sprouted is fine.
Actually any dollar store sells various dry beans for eating cheap, and they sprout great, I have 50' rows of kidney, black, white navy and pinto growing in the garden right now from dollar store bags.
A lot cheaper than buying those little packets of garden seed$
Edited to add, I've heard dry lentils sprout well also, though I've never personally tried them.

Last edited:
How far are you from these folks? http://www.resacasun.com/ They have a delivery route into your area, I believe.

I am in NC, they appear to be in GA and no retailers even remotely close to where I am located.

That's too bad... :( Do you have any land of your own? I'm thinking if you did order some seeds, you can grow some outside and get a harvest out of it. Not this year of course, but a project for next year. That way you'll be able to grow your own small crop, and it won't be crazy expensive to order from far away.

Yes I do, I own 5 acres. I definitely will look into doing this for next year.

If you have a TSC near a lot of people sprout for their chickens PlotSpike forage oats they sell for deer food plots.
We have a regular dollar store where everything's a dollar, 2lb bags of pinto beans $1. Sprout great, good for them too. Just don't feed them dry beans (poisonous), cooked or sprouted is fine.
Actually any dollar store sells various dry beans for eating cheap, and they sprout great, I have 50' rows of kidney, black, white navy and pinto growing in the garden right now from dollar store bags.
A lot cheaper than buying those little packets of garden seed$

The closest TSC is 3 hours away 1 way but I have a family member who can purchase it and bring to me when she comes to visit me next week. Would this be it? https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/plotspike-forage-oats-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005

I had no idea about the beans either, learning so much from everyone. I have several of the dry beans you mentioned in my pantry. Do I do them the same as I would the barley/wheat seeds would be done? All the help is much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom