Can she actually hatch eggs ????

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Parrots, Canaries, Finches etc.' started by Crazy4Chicks, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Ok here is alittle background :

I have a female Quaker parrot named Pollie the Potty mouth

last year about this time Pollie made a nest on the bottom of her cage - I was very impressed about her make shift nest using bedding and food and she maintained the walls everyday doing little repairs on them LOL

about 2-3 days after she made her nest much to my surprise she started laying eggs - up till that point Pollie had NEVER laid eggs before - I let her keep her 6 eggs for about 2 weeks than started removing one a day till she was left with just one and about a week after removing the other eggs she figured enough is enough and left her nest

Ok -- so a few days ago I noticed Pollie rubbing her vent on her toys/perches and sure enough she has built another nest so I know it is only a matter of days before she starts laying eggs

OK here is the experiment and questions :

I have button eggs that are VERY fertile - my little flock has been busy LOL

Is it possible to remove Pollies eggs and give her a few button eggs ? ( last year I slipped a banty egg under her and she tried so hard to cover it but it kept popping out from under her lol )

IF the eggs hatch will she care for the chicks or kill them ?

IF the eggs hatch and I remove the babies will it depress her to have done all that work and no babies ?

Pollie has never had babies and has never had another bird in her cage with before male or female so I dont know how she will react to babies in her space

or should I just do the same as last year - let her lay her eggs - and than start removing them after a week or so ?

last year when I started removing eggs she was fine until I got to that last one and she protected it like a grizzly bear - but after awhile she went back to her normal self of trying to bite DH and cussing him out LOL and I was able to toss the last egg.

so what do you all think ??

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I say, give it a try! Let her hatch them. The motherly instinct may kick in once they hatch. She so wants to be a mama!! [​IMG]

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow! What an idea!

My only concern is baby quail won't act like baby parrots - they don't need her to feed them, they're feathered and active from the start. I think it's a neat idea, and if you try it, just be ready to get the babies out of there if she panics.

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    that is the other thing that has me worried IF I let her do this - is the fact the babies will not need her to feed them - but I was wondering if she would cover them to keep them warm enough

hmmmm

I have the bator out so if she started to set them and changed her mind I could warm the bator up and let them hatch in there - I already have a brooder with baby buttons and coturnix so I could add a temp wall and seperate the newer one just in case I have to bator hatch them or Pollie freaks out and tries to hurt the babies or ignores them totally

I guess I will collect a few eggs once she starts laying her own and she if she will hatch them

this should be intresting LOL

5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I would be afraid of her killing them when they hatch. Hookbills can decapitate a quail.

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I agree. I would however let her incubate and pull them three days before hatching into the hatcher and hatch them out yourself. I have a lot of lovebirds, cockatiels and parrotlets and I would NEVER let a button quail hatch in the same cage as one of those little monsters!

7. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    That sounds like a really cool experiment! keep us updated with pics and news!

8. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Songster

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Quote:It is hard to say if the killer instinct would take over right away. But since chickens are a precocial species, they will soon be moving around unlike a quaker baby would, and she will not be equipped to handle that scenario.

9. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Songster

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Oops, I meant quail, not chickes. But same principle.

10. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Songster

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I think I will let her set them and do all the work and just pull the eggs 3 days before hand lol

I love Pollie but dont know if she would hurt them or not and I dont want to risk the babies getting hurt

thanks everyone for the advice -- so far Pollie has no eggs of her own she is making her nest perfect LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: