Can she live? or should I put her out of her misery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhisperingWinds, Jan 9, 2014.

1. WhisperingWinds

WhisperingWinds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Morganton, NC
    While driving my husband to work this morning at 5 a.m., after I dropped him off, (of course) as I was heading back home I saw a chicken on the side of the road. Stopped and she is obviously a meat bird, I am going to assume fell off a transport truck ???

I wrapped a towel around her and brought her home.
    She has stretched out her wings and folding them back in while I moved her into a large box. (so not even sure about legs and wings for sure yet)... biggest 1st concern is there is no feathers, or skin under her. You can see flesh... I am not sure if that is from the factory she came from or from falling off a truck. There were not many feathers on the road where I found her.

Even if nothing is broke on her... can she heal enough to be ok with flesh exposed, or should I just put her out of her misery?

Right now she is loosely wrapped up in a towel and she closed her eyes when I put her in a dark room. She looks to be sleeping peacefully...

Thanks for any advice
    Stacey

2. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Meat chickens don't have many feathers.... makes for less plucking [​IMG]

She is one lucky bird. But if she is a meatbird she may well not live long anyway, I've heard they die very young from the weight of their own bodies. Internal organs fail to cope with the mass.

If you have other birds you could always try quarantining her for a month & throw her in with them.

Meat birds eat a lot so you may have to restrict her feed or she will eat herself to death. Its what they are bred to do. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by