can some please tell me if this is eyeworm? pic in description

Hoodie

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Fayetteville, NC

You can't see it from the pic but when I pull back her outer corner of her eye there is a huge white ball of ???? I've looked on YouTube videos of a guy removing this sac? And I can't get it not with her wiggling and moving all around. I've irrigated her eye with tepid water. Can anyone give some advice on this?

Has she constantly been scratching her eye? If not, it's not eyeworm.
It's possible she might have gotten debris in her eye causing an infection. You can flush it with saline solution and put terramycin eye ointment in her eye for about 5 days and observe her for improvement. If there isnt improvement, you might be dealing with some type of respiratory disease. If that's the case, you can purchase tylan 50 injectable and put one drop in her eye twice a day for 5 days as well as giving her 1/2cc orally for 5-7 days, no more than 7 days.

No, that's her inner eyelid you are seeing. She's not pussy even after I flushed her eye. It's a big white mass. Appears to be solid. I'd post more pics but it's dark now. I can get some up tomorrow .

Is there a bad odor around her face? Chances are, it is either a respiratory infection, or an eye injury. Those videos on YouTube of eyeworm are pretty misleading, if not faked. More than likely, they are removing white globs of puss. Eyeworm can be seen in the eye. It's usually found in tropical regions of the world where the surinam cockroach is found since it is the intermediate host of the worm. A common treatment for eyeworm is Valbazen given orally 1/2 ml, then repeated in 10 days, plus an application of equal parts Valbazen and water instilled into the eyes, and also repeated in 10 days. Some references recommend use of levamisole or 5% cresol, related to phenols such as Lysol. Here is a brief excerpt from the Merck Manual on Manson Eyeworm:

Eggs of Oxyspirura mansoni, Manson eyeworm, are deposited in the eye, reach the pharynx via the nasolacrimal duct, are swallowed, passed in the feces, and ingested by the Surinam cockroach, Pycnoscelus surinamensis. Larvae reach the infective stage in the cockroach. When infected intermediate hosts are eaten, liberated larvae migrate up the esophagus to the mouth and then through the nasolacrimal duct to the eye, where the cycle is completed. Other insect species may also serve as the intermediate host.
Oxyspirura mansoni is a slender nematode, 12–18 mm long, found beneath the nictitating membrane of chickens and other fowl in tropical and subtropical regions. The parasite causes various degrees of inflammation, lacrimation, corneal opacity, and disturbed vision.
As a treatment for Manson eyeworm, a local anesthetic can be applied to the eye, and the worms in the lacrimal sac exposed by lifting the nictitating membrane. A 5% cresol solution (1–2 drops) placed in the lacrimal sac kills the worms immediately. The eye should be irrigated with sterile water immediately to wash out the debris and excess solution. The eyes improve within 48–72 hr and gradually become clear if the destructive process caused by the parasite is not too far advanced.

Last edited:
Here is what the exudate or pus can look like in the eye or in the sinus cavity under the skin in respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma (MG) and Coryza. Here is a good link to read about these diseases and other common ones with symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

053111_1509_DiseasesofG2.png
images

mycoplasma gallisepticum Infectious Coryza

CORYZA-006A%20x750.jpg
Infectious Coryza

Just like to update everyone on the status of my hen. I actually got in email contact with guy who performed surgery in the link casportpony provided. He had great advice on safely restraining her for the procedure. Actually doing the procedure was a different story. I had my husband hold her legs restrained in an old feed bag and just as I was about to make the incision, my husband says,"so shouldn't I do this?" (He's an airborne combat medic with the U.S. army) and I'm like, "ok, you would a bit of experience here." And he goes to make the incision and cut on the underside of the swollen mass. Immediately I know that the cut isn't large enough. I told him so and he started making it bigger but the freaked out and said the he couldn't get it out without cutting around the entire eye. Which is total bs, and I know this because I've actually talked to the guy with the peafowl. So I said, "move over" and I start lengthening the incision and he says "stop. Just stop". He's too freaked I guess. So I used my knife to remove some of the mass I could get to through the eyelids. And he just says, "let her go, I cull her tomorrow". I'm like, "are you serious? She acts completely fine, just has the huge pus pocket. She eats, drinks and has normal stool."

Ultimately, he refused to let do anything more "surgical wise" so I've been dosing her with Tylan 50 everyday and today I check on her and.....the mass is gone. There's some swelling still left behind, but I'm going to continue dosing her for a while. I smooshed around her eye while dosing her today, just clear bubbles and swelling. I think she's getting better with the Tylan. Has anyone else had fast results like this with Tylan?

Kudos to you getting the puss mass out of her eye. Tylan 50 is very good for respiratory diseases. I have seen someone here on BYC have almost immediate results giving Baytril for a swollen eye. It was very swollen and then back to normal within a couple of hours of the first injection. I think it was injectable Baytril.

I do have a rhode island red / silkie mix hen that has a white mass in her eye..with a terrible smell...I have been putting warm compress couple times a day that is saturated with buratic acid...she flings some of it out from time to time...I have tried getting it out with no success...will it get better/ its been over a week

Back
Top Bottom