Can some please tell me what's wrong with my chick(pictures)

Wyogirl

Songster
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Cody, WY
I have a 24 hr old chick with spraddle legs, put bandaids on it but it also has a large vent opening and also another opening where the tail should be??? It has a kind of maybe mushy belly, it looks alert etc but only wobbles
53291_2011-07-18_20-39-32_818.jpg
this is where it's tail feathers are
53291_2011-07-18_20-41-17_58.jpg
this is the underside
Please help
Ayda

All I can tell you is give it a few days & see what it does, keep the bandaids on it, you do have them on right dont you ? If its alert just see what happens, keep it warm, is about all you can do.

It's OK, I had a chick with the same exact problem (large vent) , keep him or her warm it will decrease over time and time meaning in a day or soo. It's nothing to worry about.. The mushy belly is the yolk that has been absorbed. The large vent is swelling from hatching, I wouldn't stress over it, don't try to clean it or anything just leave it alone, it should shrink down to normal. Work on the Spraddle legs, I particular like the hair tie way better. I have never had any luck with the bandaid way, if you want to try it let me know I will send you the link. When my chicks get spraddle legs, I use the hair tie way and within about 8 hours or less they are up and walking like normal chicks..

Last edited:
34179_64cebedfaaa1__1300431544000.jpg

This is a picture of one my chicks that had not only a large vent but some sort of red bubble. I left it alone and it shrunk down and everything went to normal... I think my little guy got it because he pushed out of his shell a little to soon... Mr. Impatient. But if you took the red bubble out, you can see his vent is very enlarged. He recovered and I know yours will too.. As long as he is active and acting like a chick at this point I won't worry about it.

lol.png
i saw the pic and all i could thing was 'oh my. it has no head at all. and this person doesn't realize what is wrong with it... hmmm'

but it's ok. i get it now. this is the first time i have incubated and actually had to mess with an egg (and it isn't going well)... so needless to say - i shouldn't even attempt answering other people's questions on chicken forums.

however- if you ever have a headless chick that is still walking around, i would call national inquirer first.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
AhhhhHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa, that was good! I was trying to figure out where the head was but didnt necessarily think it was "headless" Thank you for the laugh
thumbsup.gif

it was a very short-lived thought. it is late, ya know. LOL and I am usually up at 4:30 for work... so I didn't at any point claim it was a valid thought... or even relevant to bother posting. however, it was hilarious (more so due to my sleep deprivation) so I shared it. :eek:) ...yes. i am like this in real life. scary thought.

Quote:
LOL, so am I...that is so something I would have said! Thats probably why I thought it was so awesome, lolololol. Im glad you shared it, I was in need of a good laugh after stressing over my chicks all day! Thanks again

OMG after reading these comments again, I just couldn't help myself, you guys are way too funny.. Never really looked at the pictures as Headless chickens. But since you mentioned it, it does appear to be that way... LOL hahahahahahahahha:D
lol.png
That is just way to funny...

Back
Top Bottom