Problem solved. ( probably )

Purelychicks

Songster
Nov 15, 2022
Arkansas
I have a chick that pipped wrong end I believe and the membrane is thick and it keep pecking at it but can’t get it loose. It’s hard to see but the shell is picked off but it can’t pick through the membrane I still have 14 that need to hatch, and 2 others pipped

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 32
I suggest that you wait a few more hours and then check on it again. If it still has made no progress, then try to break the membrane so that it can breath. I had a duckling that pipped on the wrong end, too! It hatched just fine, though it was smaller than the others so I had to keep an eye on it. I hope all goes well!

I suggest that you wait a few more hours and then check on it again. If it still has made no progress, then try to break the membrane so that it can breath. I had a duckling that pipped on the wrong end, too! It hatched just fine, though it was smaller than the others so I had to keep an eye on it. I hope all goes well!
Thanks! Is it a bad sign if a chick pipped 12 hours ago and is now distressed crying? It keeps pecking same hole over and over

Thanks! Is it a bad sign if a chick pipped 12 hours ago and is now distressed crying? It keeps pecking same hole over and over
It can take up to 24 hrs after they pip to start zipping. Zipping is normally pretty quick. But if it pipped on wrong end it can take up to 48 hrs to hatch.

Are you sure no hole in the membrane?

It can take up to 24 hrs after they pip to start zipping. Zipping is normally pretty quick. But if it pipped on wrong end it can take up to 48 hrs to hatch.

Are you sure no hole in the membrane?
It finally made a very small hole on its own. I think all the pipped eggs are sleeping now because they’re not moving or chirping at all. (Or they may be dead 😕) but I just had another chick hatch that hadn’t even pipped yet it was amazing! It pipped and then in less than 5 minutes had finished zipping and is now up and rolling eggs around 😅. Fastest I’ve ever seen a chick hatch.

It finally made a very small hole on its own. I think all the pipped eggs are sleeping now because they’re not moving or chirping at all. (Or they may be dead 😕) but I just had another chick hatch that hadn’t even pipped yet it was amazing! It pipped and then in less than 5 minutes had finished zipping and is now up and rolling eggs around 😅. Fastest I’ve ever seen a chick hatch.
They're probably resting, it's easy to worry when they're hatching. Keep an eye on the one that pipped on the wrong end. Check out the hatch assist video on youtube by a chick called Albert. His videos cover everything.

This pip isn't a normal pip. This is outside of the aircell, which means it's the equivalent of an internal pip. It can take up to 48 hours, possibly even longer, to be ready to hatch out- because it needs time to absorb the yolk and veins.
Give it time and just keep an eye on it- don't rush it.

This pip isn't a normal pip. This is outside of the aircell, which means it's the equivalent of an internal pip. It can take up to 48 hours, possibly even longer, to be ready to hatch out- because it needs time to absorb the yolk and veins.
Give it time and just keep an eye on it- don't rush it.
This is what it looks like this morning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom