Can somebody remind me

Saltlifexo95

Songster
Feb 8, 2022
Central Georgia
Hello again! 😂
Can somebody remind me, how much space in the RUN per chicken? We have a 10x20, but we also have another 10x10 that can be added if need be. Chickens won’t be stuck in the coop so I know sizing is different if just using for nesting/roosting.
I’ll be honest, we have 21 chicks. I’m sure some of you remember my first posts of saying we were getting 10 MAYBE 15.. the chicken world is a dangerous game folks. 😂😂😂😂 Thank you kindly!!

I remember recently reading that you'd need 15sf of run per bird. (Personally, I think that's pretty cramped if you have more than 1 rooster.) For your 21 birds, on that math, you'd need to add that 10x10 for at least 300 sf total space. We have an uncovered run of 40x50 for about 50 birds - that's 40 sf per bird. Plenty of areas to hide, dust bathe, run away from an aggressor, or soak up the sun unmolested. Our run could handle many more birds, but the coop is overcrowded by double (96 sf, should be @ 200), so I compensate by keeping them out in the run as much as possible.

I remember recently reading that you'd need 15sf of run per bird. (Personally, I think that's pretty cramped if you have more than 1 rooster.) For your 21 birds, on that math, you'd need to add that 10x10 for at least 300 sf total space. We have an uncovered run of 40x50 for about 50 birds - that's 40 sf per bird. Plenty of areas to hide, dust bathe, run away from an aggressor, or soak up the sun unmolested. Our run could handle many more birds, but the coop is overcrowded by double (96 sf, should be @ 200), so I compensate by keeping them out in the run as much as possible.
Oh wow, can I see a picture? That sounds awesome!

Ok, I LOVE that, & I have to say.. that is the tiniest, cutest rooster I’ve ever seen. 😂
His name is Little Sh!t, and he is a bantam Old English Game Cock. He is currently the senior member of our flock, at about 5 years old. He earned that name due to his personality, but then someone pecked out his left eye and humbled him. He loves to chase my ankles when I'm nearby, the little s__t!!! I love him, though. I worry that he'll get whiplash trying to see everything around him with one eye. LOL

Back
Top Bottom