Can someone confirm if this is scaly leg mites?

purpletiger

Songster
7 Years
Jun 22, 2014
Hi everyone! Hope everyone is well. Over the past year I've noticed my dominique hen named Sugar slowing down. She's about six years old. She is having a harder time keeping up with the flock and scratching for bugs. I thought she was just getting arthritis but now I'm convinced that most of her problem is scaly leg mites! I just noticed today her scales looked very raised compared to my other chickens. I feel so bad for not noticing sooner! I took her inside right away and soaked her feet in the shower and gently brushed her feet and under her scales with warm water and soap. Then I worked some vaseline up under her scales. Can someone confirm if this is scaly leg mites? Is this stage treatable with oil only or is it too advanced? Or should I use the ivermectic pour on? I still feel so bad that I only noticed it just now. She's a sweet girl and I would like to help her.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• slm1.png
    slm1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • slm2.png
    slm2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • slm3.png
    slm3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • sugar.png
    sugar.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
It's not a real bad case, if it's mites. I use castor oil, work that in and then cover it with vaseline. Do it a couple times a week, and with time it should improve, but it can take a while. I have a roo that has scales that look like that and it is not scaly leg mites, but I would go ahead and treat, it won't hurt anything. Also, did you check the bottoms of the feet for any sign of bumblefoot? At 6 years old her slowness may just be age catching up with her.

Thanks for the reply! I will continue the oil treatment on her legs. It she doesn't improve in a few weeks then I might try the ivermectin. She certainly has chunkier feet than all my other hens, and spurs too! She also has some pretty bad spots on her hocks, which were too difficult to get a picture of. Next time I treat her I'll maybe get some pictures. Maybe that's keeping her from moving her legs at that joint, or its just old age. I treated her a year ago for minor bumble foot. It healed nicely. I looked under her feet last night, but they are all clear of bumble foot thankfully. I'll keep this thread updated. Hopefully she'll improve over the next few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom