Can someone help identify/sex this chick

Klongeway

Chirping
Mar 28, 2023
hello, this chicken is around 10-12 weeks I know probably to young still but worth a shot. it’s slow growing in the tail feather area just started getting tail feathers much later than the rest of the chicks we got with it. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 3C117F90-ECCC-4977-A24D-DB1A8DFE5B87.jpeg
    3C117F90-ECCC-4977-A24D-DB1A8DFE5B87.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 2B2816BE-A164-49C6-B3DF-BEF65BE03967.jpeg
    2B2816BE-A164-49C6-B3DF-BEF65BE03967.jpeg
    1,020 KB · Views: 6
Where did you get it from?
It looks like a pullet based on age comb and i dont see any rooster specific saddle feathers
Thank you for taking the time to respond. We got the chicken from a local person in our town. we learned not to do that the hard way. Our first experienced didn’t go so well. It came with 7 others and it’s one of 2 left. Lost the rest to coccidia. Sold to us as a RIR but probably just a backyard mix.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We got the chicken from a local person in our town. we learned not to do that the hard way. Our first experienced didn’t go so well. It came with 7 others and it’s one of 2 left. Lost the rest to coccidia. Sold to us as a RIR but probably just a backyard mix.
Well its probably mixed with RIR did the person have any other chicken breeds that you know of?. Im sorry you lost the others. Hope that you can have a better experience with other chickens.

That’s what had me puzzled cause looking at it in person at first I thought hen but each week I’m leaning more towards cockerel thank you for pointing out the feathers. And thank you for replying.

That’s what had me puzzled cause looking at it in person at first I thought hen but each week I’m leaning more towards cockerel thank you for pointing out the feathers. And thank you for replying.
He is probably slow to mature because of coccidiosis. I've had one outbreak and my cockerel from that batch didn't show until much later than normal and had a pale comb like yours as well :)

Um, I see a pea comb on that bird. Aren't RIR straight comb only? I think your bird is RIR mix with easter egger or something that lays blue eggs, because pea comb is a marker for blue egg gene. I have a Production Red (breed was developed from RIR to increase egg laying) and a number of fancy (hatchery created) easter eggers. My mix of the Production Red rooster over my Prairie Bluebells created many birds that look like yours.

So, I think your cockerel could sire some percentage of hens that lay colored eggs.

He is probably slow to mature because of coccidiosis. I've had one outbreak and my cockerel from that batch didn't show until much later than normal and had a pale comb like yours as well :)
Yes it got it pretty bad and it just got all its feathers in like 2 weeks ago but the others have been fully feathered awhile now. But this could explain why my lavender rooster keeps going after him.

Back
Top Bottom