Can someone help me tell if one of my birds is a rooster?

robaincltnc

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 13, 2012
I have pics I can send as I don't know how to upload on this forum. She/(or he) is about 6 weeks old and is a Americuana. I purchased two. This one is about the size of the other and is as skiddish as the other but his comb is redder and is shaped a bit different. I hope its not a roo as my sun is attached but will def be rehoming if the little booger is a dude! Will replace him with a black copper maran. We only have 3 (2 americauana and 1 wyandotte) as we live in an HOA that really doensn't allow them so we started off under the radar.

Thanks for any help.

Okay thanks, I looked up some references and I think that it is a rooster. Wait until it starts crowing because I am not sure. I have never had Americana's,but I want some.I have silkies, and it is hard until they start crowing, to tell what sex they are. Please email me back to let me know the verdict. Here are some sites to try to see what sex your chicken is: Google images and wikipedia. Have a good week.

Hi, here are updated pics of the Blue Americauna mystery chick. He/she has 4 toes...does this look correct for a male or female? Also, you can see comb...does this look lie a lady or a tramp?

I would not get rid of it yet. It is really difficult to tell at this age. I agree that is is getting pretty red but that is no guarantee that it is a male or female. You can't always tell from the comb. One thing that I notice is that all the feathers are rounded. I don't see any pointy feathers (I know this is not a technical description...) like roosters have. I lean towards pullet at this point BUT it really is too soon to tell.

I really like the color!

Back
Top Bottom