Can someone help me understand this humidity in hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, May 23, 2011.

1. Hatcher is 15" x 26" x 12" (floor space 15" x 26"). I checked my hygrometers and one read 78% and 2 read 73% after 24 hrs in baggie w/salt water *testing*.
    I'm ready to move in a group of Day 18 eggs tonight and even with almost the entire floor surface is water and humidity seems low (for that much surface area). I'm reading 60%, 55%, and 56% from same hygrometers.
    [​IMG]
    Why so low? I'd like the humidity to be 65%, but there is no where else to put water. The 'vents' are six 1/4" holes just below the level of the rack.
    Am I looking at this wrong?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa
    HA! In the time it took to load the pic, I came up with a theory.

2. jeanniejayne

jeanniejayne Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    mid-Delaware
    What's the temp?

3. Hi! All the thermo / hygrometers read 99.-ish degrees F.
    My *theory* is the unsealed wood is sucking up the moisture. But I used it last 2 weeks and had no problem with getting humidity as high as I wanted, with less surface area of water. I just don't know what is going on.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

4. Right, wrong, or indifferent --- it was time and all the Day 18 eggs are in the hatcher.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Sorry this is REALLY random but can you empty your inbox [​IMG] I need to pm you [​IMG]

6. Hi Elizabeth! Just send an email. There is a link for my email just to the left (I don't enjoy the pm system here and emails work better for me).
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Okay. I sent a email [​IMG]

8. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Soak some sponges and put them in there too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by