can someone list the symptoms of Coccidiosis?

Will do. Right now the vet has us administering .5ml of doxycycline with a syringe, and then also adding the 1 teaspoon into their 4 cups of water for the next few weeks. Will update as things progress.

I have a very sick bird that just got the cocci diagnosis. She had been on electrolytes/probiotic water and leftover sulfatrim for a few days until I got the fecal exam results back. She has drank a bit of the liquid Corid/water solution (2tsp/gal), but can I forcefeed her some at a higher dose? IS the 2tsp/gal the highest dose anyone would recommend?

She had been enjoying some coconut water, raw coconut, and maybe eats a dozen mealies per day, but that's about all she will consume right now. Can I mix the 2tsp/gal ratio into the coconut water instead of the regular H2O? I'm not sure how long she can last with the watery stools and lack of nutrients. There has been no blood whatsoever in her stools/runs. I'd assume anything except thiamine would be OK to have in the Corid treatment since it is obviously a thiamine blocker...am I wrong?

Unfortunately I had cocci with new chicks I got from a breeder. I did not think about cocci until I saw a bloody stool and by the time I got back form the store it was dead. I started them all on Corid and used a syringe to get medicated water down the sickest one. It's been a week and they are all doing fine now.

I spoke with a lady at a hatchery and she told me that using 1/3 cup of braggs unfiltered vinegar with 1 quart water works faster than Corid. I don't know if this is true and I probably will not try it as I have the medicine now. However if I was at a place where I could not get the medicine right away I would give this a try. Anybody on here ever heard of this for cocci? I do give my birds a capful in a gallon regularly but she said for cocci it needs to be stronger

All my birds had it and lost one and almost lost another when I noticed she had stop drinking and eating so I took a syringe full of the mix water with corrid and slowly force feed her the syringe full and the next day she was better and drinking and eating but I do not thinking giving a straight dose is a good idea and could kill her. You have to ve carefull about how much you force her to drink also because you can kill her by giving her too much mater just a human cant absorb more then a gal of water in one hour and you will die if you were to drink a gal in under an hours your electrical process can cant function and you basically drowned in your own fluids so you need to make sure and Im not sure how much I gave her as I cant find my syringe to tell you now but its not a big one its maybe half a pencil long and four round so if you can image that thats what I gave her only after I knew she wasnt drinking or eating as I had watched her and rest for hours and hours checking poop, checking who drinking and eating. When I find it I will post a pic and volume to holds, I bought to measure Safegaurd out originally but using that alone is not good enough.

Coccidiosis is what kills the birds, Corid ( Amprolium ) is the treatment 2 tsp per gal. for 5-7 days depending on the infection, I went 7 days and now on the nutrient electrolyt mix, you should be using the corid now for 7 days in their water changed frequently during the day to make sure its clean at all time during the seven days, they mess it up quickly. I go these at Tractor Supply. It is a 15ml syringe on one side tsp on other I gave her a full 15ml slowly so she would not chock and could drink it.

Attachments

• 0602171908 (2).jpg
    0602171908 (2).jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom