Can someone please help me???

Micmac1234

Songster
Apr 13, 2021
Colorado
Ok I just don’t know what to do. I’ve never hatched before and I’ve never dealt with a broody and babies.

I ordered fertilized eggs, they were shipped to me and none hatched. I went and got day old chicks and put them under her. She went absolutely ballistic. I did it during the the day but she was literally seeking them out to violently attack them.

I commented previously and someone said that can be common with a first time mother and try to do it at night but what do I do if she attacks them in the middle of the night or right when they wake up?

I have them in a brooder, they’re 3 days old now and I think tonight is probably my last shot to put them under her. I have not tried again since the first day.

How do I know if she does just need time to acclimate or if she is going to be homicidal?

Someone please help 😫

Also, to add, I am willing to wake up when they wake up and make sure she’s okay with them but I had every other hen locked out, it was me and the broody and the babies and it was difficult saving 4 I can’t imagine saving all 8 chicks plus fending off the mother and other 5 hens. All in all, SOS.

Since early April
What makes you think she’s broody? What are her signs? It’s now been past six weeks , approaching 2 months. After 3 weeks of brooding without hatching babies if a hen continues to be broody their health suffers. 2 months of sitting on eggs would kill a hen. I have a feeling she’s not broody which explains why she doesn’t want the chicks.

What makes you think she’s broody? What are her signs? It’s now been past six weeks , approaching 2 months. After 3 weeks of brooding without hatching babies if a hen continues to be broody their health suffers. 2 months of sitting on eggs would kill a hen. I have a feeling she’s not broody which explains why she doesn’t want the chicks.
She’s absolutely broody…. She was broody last year from April to august and I couldn’t break her no matter what.

She steals the eggs. She sits on them. Doesn’t leave the nest more than once a day. Takes one giant, dog sized poop the one time she gets up. Flattens out. Missing her breast feathers. “Growls” when other chickens go near her. She is quite broody

Back
Top Bottom