Can Someone please help my and my chickens please!

If you were told by the landlord when you rented that you could keep chickens, then he has made an expressed contract with you on this matter and has no right to change the contract once it has been established, take him to court, by the time it is resolved you will be moved and the court will decide that the point is moot. Verbal contracts hold up in court.
In the mean time, keep your chickens.

I'm not a professional lawyer I just play one on tv.

Quote:
Well I called up my dads friend who owns a farm and has chickens also and he said we can keep them there for as long as we need. So the chickens are safe, I'm just going to miss going out in the morning to feed them
sad.png
and hear the rooster crowing
D.gif
but he said we can go down there to see them anytime we want for however long we want. I just can't wait to move now so I can bring my chickies home! I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,
-Sophia in CT
yippiechickie.gif

Ok. I just want to throw this out there to anyone renting or thinking of renting because as I read thru a lot of the posts on this site there always seems to be one angry neighbor that tries to ruin our chicken bliss so in this particular situation or to anyone who is renting or thinking about renting:

Verbal agreements do not hold up in a court of law, unfortunately we live in a society where people like to renege on promises made to get an individual into the rental property.

PLEASE get it in writing. If your prospective landlord says that having pets are fine, but not listed in black and white within the lease ask to have it amended to include the agreement. That way your landlord or a representative from the company can not LEGALLY ask you to get rid of the animals. Please keep in mind that most lease agreements state somewhere, in tiny print that the leasing company can evict the tenant for many reasons (and to be honest it seems that pets are a prime target). So they will probably kick you out anyway but your animals are still protected until you leave. If anything does happen to the animals as a direct result of the leasing company before you are scheduled to move (either end of or termination of lease) you can sue the company, because at the time of the sining of the lease the pets were properly and legally addressed from the beginning. This will hold up in court unlike he said, she said ect...

Noise complaints are taken up by your local police department not your rental property company. So as long as your keeping chickens are legal in your area tell the crabby neighbor or the leasing company to shove off or meet you in court!

I hope this helps some people. Oh and I am not an attorney but several of my friends are and we have talked about this in regards to my keeping chickens, in case my neighbors start to freak out.
big_smile.png

Quote:
In my Paralegal class the instructor specificly said that verbal agreements are binding and will hold up in court.
He was speaking specificly about washington state law.
Laws do vary from state to state and he did Not explain how this would actually play out in court. he just made the statement. I know just enough law to get myself in trouble
tongue.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom