Can someone please help tell me what this is?

GaLinemansWife

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
Dallas
I bought three one year old cochins from someone one week ago today. They all initially seemed fine but I began to notice all of them sort of shaking their head. Well after a couple of days one of my hens started coughing/sneezing so I gave her an injection of Tylan. She has since had 3 total and still coughing a bit and when I went out to check on her this morning she has a new symptom, twisting her neck. I am really upset and not sure what this is or what to do:(. I am new to keeping chickens and tried to read a lot before posting but there are so many things with the same symptoms. If anyone one has any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

I also wanted to add to make sure I didnt leave anything out that I put VetRx on them all a couple of times when I got them, all over their combs and waddles and feet and under their wings.

Biosecurity should be priority #1. This is why quarantining new birds for at least 30 days is imperative. It sounds like a respiratory disease that you're dealing with and there's no telling which one it is unless bloodwork is tested. Tylan 50 injections should help treat the symptoms, but wont cure the disease. The birds will remain carriers for life. You'll have to maintain a closed flock; none in, none out...this is to prevent infecting new birds as well as spreading it to other flocks. Some of these diseases can be transmitted on clothing and shoes too as well as through eggs. Here's a link to the different types of respiratory diseases that chickens can get. In your case, it could be MG or MS but there's no telling what it is. Besides using antibiotics for treatment, your other option is to cull your flock, disinfect everything and start over a couple of months later. It depends on what type of disease as to when to start over.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Quote:
Ive read many of your posts so I have no doubt you know what you're talking about. My heart is breaking at reading your post. The trio I bought is a calico rooster, white hen and the sick one is a blue splash hen. I was so very looking forward to babies from them but after reading your post Im not going to be able to do that if they can never get rid of this and I wont be able to introduce them into the rest of my flock. I do have them on the opposite side of the property for quarantine in a large hutch but they cant live like that. Are you sure there isnt anything else you could think of that it could be that could be curable and I wonder why I didnt notice the symptoms right after I got them. Also, Ive come to learn when people say "cull" they mean one of two things, getting rid of them or killing them, which were you referring to? Oh this whole thing is so heartbreaking to me:(

Back
Top Bottom