CAN SOMEONE PLEASE IDENTIFY WHAT TYPES OF CHICKENS THESE TWO HENS ARE?

Leogakasmoke

Chirping
10 Years
Sep 17, 2013

I have two hens. This is one. She crossed with my blackstar rooster and had 6 black baby chicks. three of them made it. Does Anyone know what type of hen this is?

Above is another picture of the same hen. What type of hen is this?

BELOW is my Blackstar Rooster (at the top of the pic) and the 3 chicks that the above hen hatched on June 4, 2013. They are approx 3 1/2 months old, 2 roosters, 1 Hen. This same hen is now sitting on another clutch of 11 eggs that will hatch in abt 2 weeks.

Below is my second Hen. WHAT TYPE OF HEN IS SHE? She also crossed with the same blackstar rooster and hatched 8 (well 9 one didn't make it) chicks, 4 yellow and 4 black. Can anyone tell me what type of hen this is?

Both of your hens appear to be game-bird mixes, probably with either Cubalaya or Wheaten Old English Game crossed in.

thanks, is it normal for them to lay and raise more than one clutch a year?

Some hens do, and some don't. It just depends on how much they want to go broody and have offspring. In the wild, (I believe--I am not a wild chicken expert) hens usually have at least 1-2 clutches a year.

Hey thank you for the info. I have one other question, what do you (or people in general) do with the roosters?

Hey thank you for the info. I have one other question, what do you (or people in general) do with the roosters?

If they're a dual-purpose or meat breed, and you aren't too attached to them, many people eat their roosters. Or, you can see if a nearby farm wants some surplus roosters to have around the farm. Other options include listing them for sale on Craigslist or the birds for sale section on BYC. You can also take extra roosters to local small-animal swaps or poultry shows, as those are always good places to get people to buy birds. And, if you have enough room, you can, of course, keep the roosters just for their beauty and playful antics.

Thank you for sharing your information. The blackstar rooster and the Hens i posted the pics of that you said are probably Cubalaya or Wheaten Old English Game mixes, their offspring should be a decent dual purpose meat/eggs birds, don't you think? i was planning to keep the hen and try eating the two roosters from the first clutch when they were abt 6 months. I guess im just asking if the hens are Cubalaya or Wheaten Old English Game mixes, then the crossing with a blackstar should give a decent dual purpose bird, or do you think that would not be the case?

Thank you for sharing your information. The blackstar rooster and the Hens i posted the pics of that you said are probably Cubalaya or Wheaten Old English Game mixes, their offspring should be a decent dual purpose meat/eggs birds, don't you think? i was planning to keep the hen and try eating the two roosters from the first clutch when they were abt 6 months. I guess im just asking if the hens are Cubalaya or Wheaten Old English Game mixes, then the crossing with a blackstar should give a decent dual purpose bird, or do you think that would not be the case?

Black Sex Link (Black Star) is created by crossing a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire rooster and a Barred Plymouth Rock hen. The female offspring are black and the males can look like a Barred Plymouth Rock.

Your rooster looks good, and the chicks look like they are getting big. So, the roosters should make good meat birds. Most people butcher roosters before 6 months. I think at about 3 or 4 months old with dual-purpose breeds.

The hens produced from your crossing should be at least fair egg-layers. You will have to wait and see. It is difficult to tell when you have very mixed chickens.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks. I have seen a lot on butchering and wanted to know, when you butcher them, do you dunk them in boiling water fo about 10 seconds before you start puling the feathers off? when I tried a while back, the water was boiling like crazy, i think it was too hot, it seemed to slightly cook the meat and the skin came off with the feathers. I wanted to try a slow boil, for about ten seconds, then was hoping the skin would stay on and the meat wouldnt appear to have been slightly cooked. does anyone have any advice on the subject?

If you go to section titled "Meat Birds," they have threads that discuss butchering. There is one there now with a video that shows how to butcher chickens.

Back
Top Bottom