Can someone please post a pic....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crazy4Chicks, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I have 5 Americana's about 6 months old ( i think - they were born in June ) - I have noticed that one of them has a nice sized comb and wattles going the other 4 has tiny little cute pink combs.
    I also 4 LB all with small pink little combs and 5 SLC all with the small pink combs- so I am pretty sure that most of those are hens.
    If this Americana is a Roo - at that age shouldn't he be crowing by now? my little banty ( same age crows all the time ) also since these all are the same age and have all been raised together - if this one turns out to be a roo - will he and my banty start fighting?
    they all get along fine right now.
    I will try and post some pics as soon as I can
    But was wondering if someone could please post a pic of that breed at about 5-6 months - both hen and roo if you can please so I can kinda compare them. I thought I had all hens [​IMG]

thanks
    Julie

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

I don't have a picture to post but have they started laying eggs? A hens wattle and comb usually get redder and more pronounced when she is laying or about to start laying. My little banty EE roo's comb was much redder at 4 weeks than the girls (no EE's). So maybe you will be getting some eggs soon...

Tonya

3. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Yeah; at 6 months old, it should be crowing. I had a wyandotte that everyone thought was a roo too; until she started laying eggs. She still has bigger wattles and comb than anyone else....Roos--you should be able to see hackle feathers and the tail starting to come in.

4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    Well right now no - one is laying [​IMG] to cold i think
    but after looking at some pics ( thank you cynthia ) I do know I have 4 pullets all with cute little pink girly combs. the other one has a rather big comb - really really red color I dont think it is getting ready to lay eggs - because the comb on this one is totally different than the combs of the other 4 - and since they are the same breed/ age I would imagine that all the combs would either be big and red or small pink? ( but I could be wrong LOL ) anyway I am going to get pics this morning of all 5 of them and get them posted this weekend.
    If it is a roo - he will be free to good home along with a female ( so he can have company ) to anyone close enough to pick him up.

Julie

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

They all develop individually and not according to any schedule you can count on. [​IMG] Right now I have two pullets born on the same day one has been laying for a month, the other hasn't layed a single egg yet. Patience is definately a virtue when it comes to raising chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by